Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I'm sure the police came up with something

A

Anonymous

That driver wasn't going 30 m.p.h. when he lost control. The car went MAYBE 40 feet to the left out of control when it jumped the curb.
My 2 cents worth is that the driver more than likely had no CLUE as to what he wanted to do. Thank god the little bugger never got the chance to shift into 3rd. gear. :?

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
This is a car that has too much power and too little brakes -> understeer's a b*tch without ABS (even w/ abs it sucks). The front wheels lock and there's no turning back. I've had this happen to my old honda in the rain, but was going about 45-50 mph (the speed limit) and saved it by pumping the brakes hard and trying to steer out of it. I came within a few feet of a lightpole.

I like oversteering cars much better, they're a lot more predictable when they loose traction, you can save it much easier

But saying all of that, I really don't know why the guy turned the steering wheel doing a burnout on a straight road :?: :rofl:

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
it was my understanding that the mr2 was mid engine rear wheel drive?

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
beermonkey9417 said:
it was my understanding that the mr2 was mid engine rear wheel drive?

yes, but remember the drive wheels aren't the deciding factor for under/oversteer.

The mid engine causes the car to be balanced more than a front engine car, but it has such a short wheelbase it will have a tendency to understeer when you step hard on the gas and turn. My guess is the car would have oversteer at all other times, but you can clearly see the front wheels lock here so...

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
the wheels didn't go to the lock until he was already losing it....plus you can see he didn't hit the brakes until it was way too late...

no disrespect to you custom, but a fwd has totally different handling characteristics than a mid engine...

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
evil - understeer is understeer. It doesn't matter what wheels drive the car, it still locks the front wheels and you cant get out.

I read a little about it, and as I expected and yall pointed out the mr2 does show oversteering characterisitcs most of the time.

But also as I expected in the vid that's obviously the wheels locking from understeer, there's nothing else that can explain it, you can even see him hit the brakes after he turns.

I found it as 'snap oversteer' and the mr2 received a bad rap for it back in the day. It's usually oversteer from entering a corner too fast/too much throttle and then braking hard/late, but as the mr2 site on wiki shows, it would flip from over-under steering depending on how much you were on the throttle or breaking into the turn.

I have a friend who used to own an old mr2 I can ask him if his car ever had any understeer for him. Even in fwd cars it's doesn't happen often (unless you're a ricer), so you could imagine how rare it would be in this car and the driver would freak out cuz it's very possible he'd never felt the car handle like that.

here - look at these on wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_MR2
"Toyota elected to change the MR2 suspension and tires so that the car became more docile and "neutral" in its over- and under- steer characteristics."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snap_oversteer
"Snap oversteer is induced when the throttle is lifted while mid-way through a corner, often by inexperienced drivers trying to reduce speed after braking too little. With mid-engine vehicles the rule for cornering is "slow in, fast out", rather than "fast in, slow out" for front-engine vehicles. Mid-engine cars are setup with more understeer to prevent entering corners with too much speed."

... but if he was a good driver he would've pumped the brakes a few times and tried to steer out of it. But then maybe he wouldve hit the light pole instead of the jetta so...

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I would've rather hit the pole than possibly hit a person in that parking lot....he's actually lucky he didn't, with all the people walking around in there....

with the understeer set the way it is in the mid-engine cars, maybe thats why I don't like them... too many idiots take turns too fast,thinking that they're driving a supercar, and completely lose it... in a fwd car though, that rear starts coming around? just point the front wheels the direction you want to go and give it a slight amount on the throttle... saved my butt from the ditch several times when I was still living up north.... :wink: if you ever get a decent snow, find you an EMPTY parking lot and get the car loose, and you'll see what I mean....

Darin

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Oh god, you guys are "blaming" the cars suspension for the crash.

Understeer/oversteer or not, the CAUSE was the idiot behind the wheel, period!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor