Anybody had their SBC swap done by a shop/individual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
I have someone lined up to my my swap in three weeks but there is a chance he'll fall through.

Anybody had their sbc swap (I want a 5.7L put in place of a 4.3) done but want to have a shop do it that isn't outrageous.

If you have had it done, mind sharing the ballpark price and what state it was done in?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
What's your budget?
Now double it.

Reactions: 5 users

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
What's your budget?
Now double it.
I've had two places, who got the engine for $500 from a running old truck, quote me $3,500 out the door.
This isn't going to be a built up 350 to start. Here's the (mostly) complete part list minus the exhaust which will be 2.5 with straight through mufflers. Basically the total in parts below plus engine comes to $1,600; and they are charging the rest as labor (69 an hour x 26 hours).
Again, they aren't doing any rebuild on the engine right now hence the cost. If they were swapping heads and the cam for me, which I'll have done next year, that'd add another $2500 in parts/labor.

I wish I could find a shop that would swap the heads on the engine and cam for another $1,000 in labor but that's not going to happen so I'm getting a stock 5.7 swapped in for $3,500.
People quoting higher prices are typically adding to/rebuilding the new engine, because 27 hours for a carbureted swap is very fair for labor.

Edit: and to be clear, I'm happy with this price and the guy doing the swap is a Genius and has built amazing Montes. I'm really just worried he might get busy and decide he can't/won't do it. So I'm seeing what other people had done and for how much.

1AB40ED0-0694-4059-A4D6-3B4A379734C2.jpeg

2028D439-D168-4820-950E-4DF0B30B9B53.jpeg

Last edited:

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
$69/hr gets you $69/hr solutions. I hope it works out for you.

Also, charge your phone.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Local shop owners' eyes lit up when I asked them to do the swap. That look (like I was a pigeon) solidified my resolve to do it myself.

Reactions: 5 users

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
$69/hr gets you $69/hr solutions. I hope it works out for you.

Also, charge your phone.
I understand you might charge more; but (for starters) this guy is sort of well known. However I also said 26 shop hours, and a lot of people claim online this job takes 18. So if he charged $100 an hour, the total would be around the same.

I'm really not getting any feedback on what it has real world cost someone for a similar swap and in which state though. I'm struggling with why you think this should cost way more than it does in labor. The parts are what they are, so what do you think the labor should cost?

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I understand you might charge more; but (for starters) this guy is sort of well known. However I also said 26 shop hours, and a lot of people claim online this job takes 18. So if he charged $100 an hour, the total would be around the same.

I'm really not getting any feedback on what it has real world cost someone for a similar swap and in which state though. I'm struggling with why you think this should cost way more than it does in labor. The parts are what they are, so what do you think the labor should cost?
Labor is typically closer to around $100/hr for a legit shop where someone is paying rent for a building that your car is secure (inside) while is their possession.

Reactions: 1 users

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
Local shop owners' eyes lit up when I asked them to do the swap. That look (like I was a pigeon) solidified my resolve to do it myself.

Man I'd love to and i know I can get a hoist and stand for $350. But every video I've watched and every guide has the words "have a buddy" sprinkled through it and I don't have any friends that would be willing to spend 3 hours helping me do something like this. And my dad is barely able to walk.
So when I ask things like this in threads I'm already feeling like sh*t about it. I've restored four motorcycles and done all the work myself but that is a 1 man job. You need an extra set of hands if you want an engine swap to not be a nightmare.

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
Labor is typically closer to around $100/hr for a legit shop where someone is paying rent for a building that your car is secure (inside) while is their possession.
So if he charged 100 and hour and this was a 19 hour job the numbers would stay the same. Where am I off on the labor hours? I'm genuinely asking because I haven't done it so maybe YouTube and the internet is way off on total hours.

Remove old engine (and disconnect all old crap): 8 hours
Drop in and reconnect everything: 8 hours
Misc: 3 hours

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Man I'd love to and i know I can get a hoist and stand for $350.
A bit over but might be the best price for new. Might find some deals for used. Some other place may have engine stands a little cheaper. Make sure to get a 4 leg stand & not a 3 leg.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor