Anybody hate the way the El Camino fuel fill door opens from the bottom???

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
Update.
I started pulling the areas out that sucked in from welding heat shrinkage this morning. Turning out to be harder than I thought and a little more involved. I'll get it though. (I want to get this to where only a few coats of high build polyester primer will be needed to block the area out flat when I get to the primering stage.)
Should be done this afternoon with it and get back to paint stripping the entire car. Stripping it all down in preparation of changing the color of the car from black to white.

full

Last edited:

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Wagon version opens same way as the Camino...makes a nice shelf for the cap when refueling. I might feel differently about that if the car actually had paint on it, though.

The guy in the ECC forum never heard of a long funnel, I guess?

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
Update:

It's been a while since my last post on this but I'm now in the process of prepping for a re-paint on the car.
I stripped the entire car to bare metal and then applied SPI epoxy primer (black first then gray) followed by Slick Sand polyester primer just the areas that would need an extra build for block sanding.

full

I ended up buying the 27" AFS sanding board with the 3 removable stiffening bars. After doing some researching, it seemed very well liked and more so than the 36" board.

AFY-8907688317.jpg

It's nice! Quality is really good. I may get more of these AFS boards in the shorter lengths and get rid of my K-Blocks. They are just better.

I've got a lot more blocking to do on the sides of the car yet but I did get the area around the new fuel door skim filled and sanded it in well. There was a slight crease in the lower area I had to fill and sand out as well.

full

full

full

full

I intend to follow up here with more epoxy primer and a light blocking with 320 then 400 for the final prep before paint.

What I did with this fuel fill door upgrade did turn out to be a fair amount of work. But, I'm very happy with the way it turned out. Not for everyone for sure but a good option for someone not worried about putting the effort in.

I'll follow up with more photos once the car is painted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
Getting further along.
Applied more epoxy primer to the car today.

full

full

full

full

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I like the 'subtle custom' look. Having done this conversion to a 72 K10, I appreciate how much work this was, and how OEM it looks in final form.

• Happy
Reactions: 1 user

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
Final photos at last. I finished the paint job and cut and buff.
I filled the tank up at the service station for the first time. It sure was nice not to have to stoop down to see what I was doing!

full

full

full

full

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor