Anyone build a custom dual ram-air setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PILOT

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2007
Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
Just wondering if anyone has modified their air intake to insert a dual ram-air setup?

I'm thinking about doing it to my Regal, and would like any pointers that anyone has.

I found a post here: http://v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=122976
but I'm looking for specific suggestions on where to place the end of the tube in relation to the front of the car.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Which engine do you have? GM used a factory dual snorkel setup on the 83-87(?) L69 G code 305 HO powered Z-28's from the factory with each inlet being larger than the single on a standard LG4 (H code) car, so try looking there first. It will fit the LG4 G body, if you bend the A/C lines slightly. I am doing this to my 350 Chevy swapped 85 Cutlass, but I am also using the Camaro's A/C lines and compressor brackets so that it looks factory. It fits the Q-jet carb well ( it was designed for it!) and all the factory smog fittings fit it too. Oh, if you use this setup, you will want to use the 305 G body lid as it allows for about an inch taller filter element than the F body lid. If you have a Olds 307, you may be able to find the dual snorkel setup off the Cutlass 442 and adapt that, but I know nothing about that engine, so I can't help you there. Just remember that neither setup is worth very much on a base V8 unless you improve it elsewhere. The L69 305 had better heads, higher compression , a bigger cam and a more aggressive chip to make it's extra 40 HP, and the HO 307 I am sure had similar upgrades. On the L69, the filter base is worth approximately 10 hp as that is what that engine lost when put in a Monte SS with the single snorkel as opposed to the F body's dual.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I borrowed the air cleaner base from a friends L69 F body to try on my '84 Monte SS at one time years ago, and found that the F body air cleaner base would not fit on my Monte due to interferance with either the accelerator pump or the wiring for the feedback carburetor at the upper front area of the carb. The F body air cleaner base would not sit down flat on my G body carb. A spacer between the carb and the air cleaner base would probably solve this problem. I also found that the position of the air inlet snorkel that carries heated air from the exhaust manifold heat stove is on the opposite side on the F body air cleaner, as opposed to the G body air cleaner. On the F body, the heat stove is on the driver's side, on the G body, its on the passenger's side. At that time, my Monte was still subject to mandatory emissions testing, which required a visual inspection for all O.E.M. emissions equipment, including the thermostatic air cleaner snorkel and its related plumbing. Because of the differences between the F body and G body air cleaners, I had a friend of mine who is good with metal working, fab up a dual snorkel air cleaner base for my Monte, using parts that I picked up from the wreckers. Then I made a second plastic inlet tube to attach to the driver's side of the rad support from 2 F body pieces, and a modified G body mounting bracket. This allowed me to keep all of the original smog equipment (the car is still subject to roadside enforcement by the Ministry of the Environment here), and to have a dual snorkel setup. I have seen other G bodies that have the L69 F body air cleaner setup on them, so I'm sure that it is useable, but I'm not sure how the owners got it to fit properly. Sorry for the long post, but I hope it helps.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
That's an odd problem to have! They both used the E4ME Quadrajet, so it should have fit. I am using mine with a 1979 Buick Quadrajet ( non computer) and it fits just fine. It may have been interference with the A/C lines making it rotate a little and not line up with the two prongs that keep it centered. My car ran with the computer q-jet and factory 305 intake initially before I swapped over to the Performer intake I have on it now. However, my car was built from L69 Camaro leftovers, but they all look the same in the junkyard so I dunno...

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Update: I had to fabricate a new A/C line out of the G code F body line combined with one from a 305 powered 81 Grand Prix in order to clear everything. I am having the hoses and crimps done tomorrow by a hose shop, and will see how much it costs. My A/C system is made up of: a Camaro Condensor, 3.8 V6 accumulator and compressor, G code Camaro Hose with the big one cut down about 8 inches and fitted with the straight in fitting off the Grand Prix where it attaches to the accumulator, G code Camaro compressor brackets-the ones that bolt to the compressor and hold the adjuster bolts and a line from a 86 V8 Camaro running from the Condensor to the Evaporator so that I could have the proper Schrader valve location for that side of the system. I test fit this setup and it all fits together fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor