Anyone ever had this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdaddyinks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 13, 2010
PA
I have an 83 monte. First thing in the morning two pums on the gas pedal and it fires right up. Once it gets warmed up, doesn't mater if I go 1 or 100 miles, If I shut it off for any reason, when I go to start it any time within a minute to a couple hours it acts like the battery is low and it is really hard to start. It is a 305 with a 4-barrel. The only change I did from the get go is, after I fried the distributor, I put in a vaccuum advance distributor.

My elco has been doing that too and sometimes I have to get a jump. I think it might be my alt. going out but I do have some wire issues under the hood. I was gonna pull my alt. tonight and get it tested.

its timing. its to far advanced.

But if it is the alt. then why not all the time? How come it only starts right off cold. I only have problems once it warms up.

I bet it is timing, too. Basically, the engine is pushing back while you are trying to start it. That would be the first thing I would check, at least. You can also check you battery by putting a voltmeter on it while starting. If voltage dips low then it is an electrical problem. But, I doubt that is it.

bigdaddyinks said:
But if it is the alt. then why not all the time? How come it only starts right off cold. I only have problems once it warms up.
I don't know. It's been happening to me too and the other day I had to jump it. It's fine once I first start it but after that it just seems like the battery's dead. The wife just got home so I'm gonna take my alt. to get tested. We might have the same problem. My timing is a little off too cause I haven't used a timming light to tune it right. Maybe thats the problem? I just recently removed my dist. too.

I know I have timing issues. I have to have the timing set real high to keep it running right without overheating. To the point that I can't drive it in the winter beacause if its slippery It wont stop at stop signs, it pushes right through. Would completely unhooking the computer help this? I ask because It doesnt have the right distributor in it so I thought this would throw off the whole thing.

bigdaddyinks said:
I know I have timing issues. I have to have the timing set real high to keep it running right without overheating. To the point that I can't drive it in the winter beacause if its slippery It wont stop at stop signs, it pushes right through. Would completely unhooking the computer help this? I ask because It doesnt have the right distributor in it so I thought this would throw off the whole thing.
Wow! You must have some really strong calf muscles! I don't have the computer, so I can't really help on that!

Lol, I stopped driving it during bad weather after I t-boned a truck at a stop sign...little hole and scratches on the bumper...strong *ss car!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor