Anyone ever had this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also chevy starters have a tendency to heat up from the exhaust,I have had 2 camaros that the starter would act like a big heat sink from the exhaust and would barely start if at all just from driving the thing for like 10 mins.Does it get better the longer you wait between starting it back up?

yeah but it takes like at least 3 hours!!!

I would say check out the timing as well ...BTW, 39 isn't to old to have a mid-life crisis.........I'm here 🙂

The one camaro I had eventually got to where it wouldnt even turn over all would happen was the selinoid would click instead of turning over slow but wait a few hours and it would fire immediately.Thats just my .02$, It is more than likely the timing since you said that you have the advance set way up I would definetly look @ the timing thing as the main culprit.

I think you should find another distributor that will talk to your computer. That is a total system that relies on input from the engine sensors to determine what timing and fuel commands to send out. By replacing the electronic dist with a vacuum unit you effectivly crippled the ignition. There's no way a vacuum unit can equal the responsiveness of an electronic unit as you found out by advancing the timing way up just to keep it running. To remove the computer alltogether is a possibility but then you need the properly set up distributor as well as a properly set up carburetor to get the car running to pre-emissions specs which can be a LOT harder than it seems. As for the starting issues, try getting someone to put a battery/charging system tester on it and see if the battery is healthy and if the alternater is putting out enough juice.

Check your ground wires. Mine was doing that a few months ago. I figured it was the timing but the weather wasn't so good and I kept putting it off. Then one day I went to start it and everything just died. Because of previous experiences I right away popped the hood to check my battery cables, and the ground was loose. So I tightened it and I had juice again. But I right away noticed that it was starting fine again. Haven't had a problem since.

But your timing would be my guess too. Just checking the battery cables is easy to check.

Makes sense, ground that is. But definatly check you timeing if not.

Thanks evryone for all the input. I will check the grounds. I am also going to disconnect the computer and reset the distr. see how it goes. i will post with results...again thanks!!

I don't really get why people take they're alternators in to get tested... I think it should be a rule that every self respecting car guy has his own voltmeter...

Also a quick way to tell if your alt. is working... While the car is running take off a battery cable, if it doesn't die your good to go.. shut the car off to hook the cable back up..

silent_orchestra said:
I don't really get why people take they're alternators in to get tested... I think it should be a rule that every self respecting car guy has his own voltmeter...

Also a quick way to tell if your alt. is working... While the car is running take off a battery cable, if it doesn't die your good to go.. shut the car off to hook the cable back up..

You can have voltage but no or little amperage. Using a voltmeter will show good when it truly isn't. Same deal with taking off the cable,you still don't know what the alternator is or is capable of putting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor