Anyone looking for a nice rear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I think there's a big difference in time, between rebuilding a rear and painting one. The powder coating is a big $ extra, it comes painted, powder coating is a big ad on. Figured I'd post it up to perhaps help anyone looking, sorry it has to come to picking everything apart I seem to post up on this forum anymore, kinda takes the enjoyment out of helping others.
So I redid according to your requests. It doesn't come painted as you stated, and chose the cheapest possible options. Still 5k. Just not understanding how that is a deal over a much cheaper 8.5" Not picking anything apart, just stating facts.

Screenshot_20220913-212353_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Attaching a link below, for the monies a factory GM 8.5 10 bolt is bringing, you can upgrade to a 9" rear with disc brakes...price seems fair!

View attachment 206762
So that's for a Currie setup, yea you'll spend some money on it.

I have a QP Setup with a Strange Center, Moser Axles, Richmond 3.89 Gears, Eaton TruTrac Diff. Budget setup but I'm in it $2200, Been in 3 different cars since 2007, just a different housing for the Gbody.

EXHAUST.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
So I redid according to your requests. It doesn't come painted as you stated, and chose the cheapest possible options. Still 5k. Just not understanding how that is a deal over a much cheaper 8.5" Not picking anything apart, just stating facts.

View attachment 206793
My guess is this is where he comes.from, which, is OK, just different.

Cons:
* Price.

Pros:
* No shipping cost. Hard to find a local 8.5 when you want it and either gas + wear/tear or freight are pricey.
* No foul gear oil when you open it. Doesn't bother me much, but, some people hate the smell, and, then youve got to deal with waste oil (unless to drive by and dump it into joesregalproject 12 valve at night.)
* fresh posi clutches without wear
* no rusty greasy pitted housing prep
* get the gear ratios you want at no extra cost.
* no setting lash... putting together and apart till its right
* brake conversion done
* time spent working in it
* knowing you aren't getting junk/bent housing

And, I presume, various warranties on the workmanship used stuff doesn't get.

Is it worth the extra money? Depends on the person like I said before. Is it a 'good deal'.... I guess it all depends on your build, budget (both time and money), and expectations.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014

$1750
FWIW, no brakes, no gears, axle bearings loose and need pressed on, so on so forth. Their 'crate' assembly at $4513 + truck freight charges is more comparable to the builds being thrown ariund on the site posted....

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
it's a 30 plu$ year old differential. would you pay the same money for the same qualities in a transmission?altleast we have options.

• Agree

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
But we all know, just because something is new, doesn't necessarily make it better either.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
it's a 30 plu$ year old differential. would you pay the same money for the same qualities in a transmission?altleast we have options.
The T56 came out in 1993, how solid are you with that statement. :)

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
The T56 came out in 1993, how solid are you with that statement. :)
I'm not solid about anything.
we're fortunate enough to have as many options with these cars that we do.we can screw these cars together almost anyway we like relatively easy. especially compared to some other vehicles out there.Like everything else it's personal preference, I wouldn't pay that much money for a used diff that was that old unless it was STOUT,samething with the automatic trans that was coupled to that diff. This particular subject Comes up couple times a year and everybody gets all cranked up about how terrible 9" are or "i can't run ford or any other brand/style than gm parts in my chevy that's like kissing my sister blah blah blah"
let's see this sister btw...
again it's all preference,your money's your money.

• Love

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I'm not solid about anything.
we're fortunate enough to have as many options with these cars that we do.we can screw these cars together almost anyway we like relatively easy. especially compared to some other vehicles out there.Like everything else it's personal preference, I wouldn't pay that much money for a used diff that was that old unless it was STOUT,samething with the automatic trans that was coupled to that diff. This particular subject Comes up couple times a year and everybody gets all cranked up about how terrible 9" are or "i can't run ford or any other brand/style than gm parts in my chevy that's like kissing my sister blah blah blah"
let's see this sister btw...
again it's all preference,your money's your money.
The closer the kin, the deeper in.. ;)

We do have that interesting dynamic of people here, some still think the stock 305 is the t*ts..

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor