Arduino Fuel Pump Controller?

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
Hello,
I decided to put this in the electrical category because its more about the electrics than the fuel part. I have a simple electric FP to feed the Holley carb on my Malibu, which I was debating how to wire up. I think I've come up with a clever solution, an Arduino!
For those of you that don't know, this (an Arduino Uno R3 specifically) is a small microcontroller board, about the size of a credit card. I can give it 6 different digital and analog inputs and it can output a digital or PWM signal on 13 different pins, according to how its programmed. It's very cheap and small, put still probably has orders of magnitude more processing power than the PCM in my 96" Caprice lol.
I am using it to control the electric fuel pump, the way I have it set up now, it will turn on the FP for 2 secs with ignition ON, than turn off. It will turn the FP back on while prime button is momentarily being pressed, and keep it on for as long as the oil pressure switch says there is some, AKA, it's running. A loss of fuel pressure or ignition power would shut it off immediately.
As it's all solid state and everything is determined by my code, I can make it do whatever the heck I want. A 10 second key on prime? sure! The fuel pump turns off when you turn the wipers on? Easy. But seriously, I would have the freedom to control it so many ways, an easily coded kill switch comes to mind.

I made a simple circuit on a breadboard to test the idea, the two switches represent the prime and oil pressure switches, and the LED is standing in for the FP.
20240129_215556.jpg

Here's the code currently if anyone's interested
Screenshot 2024-01-29 221137.png

Has anyone tried this? It'll be a little while before I can get this wired up for real, but I do have all the components.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor