Are 8.5 A/G body rears really that hard to find???

Status
Not open for further replies.

79Hurst/Olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 24, 2007
Omaha, Nebraska
I am just getting back into the car hobby, my last cars were Mopars and my last GM I put a 12 bolt in. I would like to put a 8.5 into the Hurst/Olds but you would think I could do better finding the Holy Grail for a Hood Ornament!!!

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
The 84 H/O, the 85-88 442's (3.73) and the 84?-87 Turbo Regals (3.42) are the only G-bodies to get factory 8.5" rears. POSI was an option on all.

BB Olds

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2007
Wi.
cutlass calia ? and 350 diesel cutlass ? I am 99% sure that these cars also had 8.5 rear

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I don't believe that the diesel cars got the 8.5" rear axle. The diesel cars were not particularly powerful, so there was no reason for GM to use that axle in these cars. Besides, GM stopped putting diesel engines in the A/G bodies in the early '80s. As far as I know the diesel engine option was discontinued prior to the first documented use of the 8.5" rear axle in the G body cars.

LedPhoot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2007
Washington NC
8.5 G BODY REARS ARE GOLD these days !!! The last three I've found on Ebay sold for $750-$1000. I can buy a 9" ford housing built to fit and build the rest for just over that kind of money and have a better rear and an easier to swap gear chunk so I can go from 3:08 - 4:30's in an hour.
Diesels were 7.5 as well by the way... and 12 bolts are outrageously priced too these days because anything rear wheel drive nowadays has become crushweight and this stuff is being hoarded by collectors and restorers.
Damned Gov't wants us all in ricecookers with fartcans or peddling bicycles like our neighbors in the Far East... so they stimulate steel prices to promote recycling "aka CRUSHING OLD CARS" and ship shredded cars to foreign countries and ship back goods and steel...

hobbes442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 1, 2007
mount vernon,in
i should just pull my 12 bolt out with southside conversion bats and sell and buy 9 in also . had new 4.10 richmond gears and new auburn posi what are 12 bolts bringing?

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
their free, so can i have it? haha :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor