Are air shocks a legitimate choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

79elky454ss

Greasemonkey
Sep 30, 2007
ohio
I am a child of the '70s and in my day nobody didn't have air shocks (and lift shackles or twist-in coil spacers),in order to jack-up the rear of their car. Now, I don't want that ridiculous stance,but want some adjustability on my rear suspension. I know elCaminos had air shocks from the factory at one time. So, here is my question, is the air shock obsolete? I know I can get them still,but are airlift bags and gas shocks a better choice?

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
My preference is to use air bags rather than air shocks (although I do have a couple of cars I’m using air shocks on as they are leaf spring equipped).

My experience is that the air bags last a lot longer than air shocks (possibly due to the lower pressure they operate at). I installed the bags in my 68 El Camino 20 years ago and other than having to replace 1 air line 10 years ago they have been trouble free and still hold air. I only seem to get about 3-5 years out of air shocks.

I tend to use my El Caminos as trucks and occasionally haul reasonably heavy loads. The problem with using air shocks to level the load is that all the pressure to level the bed is concentrated on the small area of metal that the upper end of the shock attached to. I have had to repair that area on a couple of El Caminos I’ve owned plus (broken out when I bought them) and several customers trucks. The air bags concentrate to force on the spring perches which are designed to be to hold the load.

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
Air shocks are OK for increasing load capacity, but they're just not the ideal solution. All El Caminos came with Delco Air Shocks as OEM equipment, as the spring rates in a Camino are actually lighter than a typical G coupe or sedan. I replaced mine with Gabriel Hi-Jackers and they've been fine for 10 years or so of light use. Most of the time they have 20-25 psi, with an occasional shot to 80-120 psi to carry a load. Used in moderation, I've never had a problem with the mounting points, except for one time on an old Malibu when I got really stupid. However, I do agree with Mike. Forcing a shock to be a load-carrying component in addition to its primary task of suspension movement dampening will never give optimum performance. Ride and cornering with air shocks can never compare with a good premium gas shock. If you have the funds to do it right the first time, definitely go for the bags and a premium gas shock. It's one of those things on my to-do list.

Bill

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
If you put non adjustable gas shocks in place where factory air shocks were, would that lower the ride height of the rear of the vehicle any? Might sound like a dumb question. The back of my car just looks like it sits too low. I recently changed my rear springs, and it helped a little. I have air shocks on it now that don't have any air lines going to them :?

79elky454ss

Greasemonkey
Sep 30, 2007
ohio
84Hurst/Olds said:
If you put non adjustable gas shocks in place where factory air shocks were, would that lower the ride height of the rear of the vehicle any? Might sound like a dumb question. The back of my car just looks like it sits too low. I recently changed my rear springs, and it helped a little. I have air shocks on it now that don't have any air lines going to them :?
The choice I am trying to make is air shocks vs. good gas shocks plus air bags, I'm not going to haul with the elCamino and I'm probably not interested in adjustable shocks

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Your spring is what controls ride hieght , so get the right spring . I still use small spacers under them for final adjustment.

Shocks control the spring , get good shocks (non air). Also as stated above the shock mounts are not designed to carry load.

The car should sit "right" without air bags or air shocks.

Use air bags to compensate for added load only. They do need to be kept with 10# min at all times.

On my wagon I pump the bags up so the rear is way up , load the car (engines, trans, family for vaca, etc) , then lower the pressure until the car sits the same as unloaded. I use the hi tech 3 fingers between the tire/fender to get it right.

If you run around with them (bags or shocks) inflated over the base setting the rear will po-go over bumps.

oldscutt85

Apprentice
Jul 14, 2007
Camp Lejeune, NC
i would sugest getting the rear springs from a mc ss then use the air bads as a last resort i have them in my cutlass and i cant stand them when u take a corner,thats why i decided to go with a watts link and aftermarket springs in the rear

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor