442 Air Shocks

MadDrOlds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2023
We’re all victims of our experience.

30 years ago I had a 84 Monte Carlo with airshocks. There was a regular tire valve in the trunk and you could raise/lower loosen/stiffen the shocks with it. Made perfect sense.

Recently got an 85 442 which came with air shocks, but best I can tell no adjustment valve, unless it is under the car somewhere.

Would someone like to give me a summary of what these are, how they work and what the perceived point of them is/was? The forum mostly seems to poo poo them as bad for all applications.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
The valve is behind the license plate, that's the stock location from the factory.
Why was air shocks standard on the 84 Hurst and 85-87 Olds 442 don't know. I have been looking for that answer in last 40 + years and I worked on them at the dealership.
I have no problem with air shocks, kinda like them at the drag strip back then instead of an air bag in the rear passenger spring.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The valve is behind the license plate, that's the stock location from the factory.
Why was air shocks standard on the 84 Hurst and 85-87 Olds 442 don't know. I have been looking for that answer in last 40 + years and I worked on them at the dealership.
I have no problem with air shocks, kinda like them at the drag strip back then instead of an air bag in the rear passenger spring.
That has to be the reason, for the 1/8 or 1/4 mile. Of course you think they would of included posi as part of the package.

MadDrOlds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2023
You’re right—the Chassis Service Manual shows a line up from the gas tank but I never thought to look under the license plate, and once I did you still can’t really see the black valve on black paint without feeling around.

Curious why my Monte had it at basically the same position but inside the trunk. When I got it in like 1990 it was pretty stock so I would think the set up was original.

I guess this will let me jack it up in the back so I can relive my misspent youth….

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The entire setup is a single line concept. And quite elaborate for what it is. The air shock fill valve behind the plate goes to a plastic fill line with special attachment clips and O-rings. No screw threads. It goes to a specified LH shock which has 2 connection points siamesed inside so it matters not which line connects to the fill valve, although the pictures delineate the bottom one is the supply from the fill valve. The other port attaches with yet another plastic line with attachment clips and o-rings and runs across the frame to the RH shock which only has one connection point. We can always speculate as to why VIN 9 cars got air shocks, but maybe we'll never know 100% for sure. SOMEONE knew why. Additionally, 83 H/O had air shocks OPTIONAL as installed by C&C if memory serves, and perhaps GM just said, you know what? We'll just do it for the 84 and speed this process up and make more cars (bean counters probably)...and since the 85 442 was virtually the same car as 84, perhaps they just carried it over because....well, I dunno. I'm still not sure as to why the Hurst conversion contract got axed for sure. I mean, yeah, they didn't do it probably over money, so there was no 85 H/O, but was it a production dispute since they were going to essentially build an 84 H/O all over again for 85? And the fact Sunbeam was buying Hurst in that time frame? WTF? Someone got cold feet. Just like they did with the 1970 Rallye 350 I believe.

Posi was always a stand-alone a la carte option for all G-body H/O and 442. Why? God only knows. They did some stupid sh*t for whatever reason and not even including it in popular option packages still rattles my brain. Only a 100 dollar option, which even in 1985 was very do-able. But because of this non-exposure at Olds dealerships, I believe that's the reason many VIN 9 cars had no posi unless the guy in charge of ordering cars knew wtf he was doing.

The build sheets show shocks G34 and G3 as the shock codes. Interestingly, the window sticker shows NOTHING. There's a tiny blurb about it in the ordering book but no other info on it. Ironically, it's not even a paid production option on the Salon without the 442 package. It was available as a GM accessory package over the counter. So I'm banking it wasn't a common thing to see a regular 85 Salon with air shocks. Interestingly, the automatic load leveling system is RPO G67 for Cutlass Cruiser, but not available for Supreme/Salon.

Hard to read, but it says G4 and G3 for rear shocks.
1687123736549.png

No mention of air shocks in the window sticker.

1687123857877.png

Barely mentions air shocks in 2 places inside the 85 ordering guide. Line 7 and 8.

85 442 Package ordering guide info.jpg

Salon selling features...bullet point 6.

85 442 Package ordering guide info 2.jpg

Page 3D2-5 in the 85 Cutlass chassis service manual discusses the shocks. There it says to maintain 10 psi minimum at all times in the system. Maximum 90 psi with load. What it doesn't say, but El Caminos do, is that maximum pressure should be 65 psi only when unloaded. There's no insert or anything I could find in the owners manual about the shocks. My car came delivered with 0 psi in the system. The guys in the service department had to look it up for me. I knew about the air shocks coming with the car, just didn't know what pressures they needed.

The washers in the diagram below (#6) are plain steel and WILL rust over time. Although I have them, I might replace them when the time comes with stainless steel ones. Might just matte clear the steel ones, I dunno.

1687122855795.png

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor