Are my T Tops factory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff in Ferndale WA

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2012
Ferndale NW Washington
I've had this 78 with T Tops for more than 25 years. The previous owner told me and I have always believed that the T Tops came from the factory. He was the second owner.
I read someplace recently (on this board I think) that all the T Tops were installed aftermarket.
There is nothing in the VIN that indicates a T Top,so I'm wondering if that is possible.
Was it something dealers had done or was it done by the first owner?

Wikipedia says "Both the Cutlass Supreme and Calais were optioned with T-tops and/or a factory sunroof" Does that mean it was done at the factory?

Does anyone know for sure?

T-tops were available from factory. Some close up pics would help. Aftermarket top that I have seen have been smaller than OE tops. Do your tops meet in the middle? Or do you have a strip of paint left between them? Factory tops have a black metal channel that holds both sides. This is from an e-bay listing, do your parts look like these?
$(KGrHqJ,!poE7Bcvgy5nBOyvj3igrw~~60_3.JPG

gbodyman1970

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2010
There was a company in Brighton,Mi called ''Cars & Concepts (C&C) they did ttops for GM as well . There is a C&C sticker in the corner of the ttop ,if it came from cars & concepts . IIRC the later years were factory installed.

Grandprixpaul

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2011
Commerce township , mi
Humm so if you found a donner car with these aftermarket t-tops in theory you could install them into you own car ,only option i want and dont have ,ive.heard of guys.transplanting the whole roof over and seen a mc ss that the owner said he had it done but seams like a huge undertaking .ill have to keep my eye out for that when i see a g-body with t-tops in a yard.

Jeff in Ferndale WA

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2012
Ferndale NW Washington
Mine meet in the middle.

xitabl442 said:
T-tops were available from factory. Some close up pics would help. Aftermarket top that I have seen have been smaller than OE tops. Do your tops meet in the middle? Or do you have a strip of paint left between them? Factory tops have a black metal channel that holds both sides. This is from an e-bay listing, do your parts look like these?
$(KGrHqJ,!poE7Bcvgy5nBOyvj3igrw~~60_3.JPG

My guess is they are factory. You could find one at a local cruise night or car show this summer for a second opinion.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
All Factory G-Body T-tops are "Fisher" tops. The front edge of the top goes all the way to the windshield. This is pretty much the giveaway. That and there should be plastic trim on the interior. They latched with pins, and IIRC some had locking mechanisms.

The Cars & Concepts tops were smaller front to back. There is about a ~3-4" section of the roof remaining inbetween the windshield and the tops. No interior trim to speak of, except a thin rubber "cap" around the edge of the opening. They latched with "clamps" on each corner. They do "meet in the middle" with the inside edge going under a 1" wide metal trim strip in the center. They were all aftermarket, but could have been installed by a dealer.

The Hurst tops were basically the same as the "hurst hatch" tops from the mid '70's-'77 model years. I've never actually seen these installed on a G-body, but the kit existed (go way back in the archives here for that discussion!) and the panels were smaller and hinged toward the center, leaving a good part of the roof intact.

Jeff in Ferndale WA

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2012
Ferndale NW Washington
Here's some pics. Judging from the descriptions above,I'm thinking they are factory.
Thanks for the replies guys!

2221380680055945140S500x500Q85.jpg

2786541330055945140S500x500Q85.jpg

2062455500055945140S500x500Q85.jpg

jasonreid

Greasemonkey
May 27, 2011
Rockmart, Georgia
Jeff in Ferndale WA said:
Here's some pics. Judging from the descriptions above,I'm thinking they are factory.
Thanks for the replies guys!

2221380680055945140S500x500Q85.jpg

2786541330055945140S500x500Q85.jpg

2062455500055945140S500x500Q85.jpg

Looks factory to me. Try contacting GM/Olds for information. They should be able to look that information up using the VIN.

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
yeah those are definitely factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor