Are there any parts one can use on an '83 Malibu wagon from a 1990 Chevy Suburban?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Are there any parts one can use on an '83 Malibu wagon from a 1990 Chevy Suburban?

I have a 1983 Malibu Wagon with a swapped L31 Vortec 5.7 in bone stock trim, except headers, backed by a 700r4. I went all mechanical, replacing the smog era quadra-puke with a Holley 600 cfm 4160. The transmission, a $175 craigslist swindle, has never had 3rd or 4th gear. So, in my search for a new trans I came home with a 1990 Chevrolet Suburban for $560. It has the 4L60, the upgraded version of the 700r4 which I intend to put in the Malibu. The plan is to go in the pro-touring direction.

The Suburban runs and drives well but after I harvest the trans, and any other useful parts, it will find it's way to the metal recycler. That's why I'm asking, are there are any hidden gems that I could pilfer?

I do plan to keep the engine. I don't know if I'll sell it or keep it.

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Grab the electronic speedometer, you can use it in your Malibu. A member here modified one with the faceplate off the factory monte SS speedo.....turned out real nice. I'm 99% certain that power door lock and power window switches are the same.

If the front clip is complete and in good shape, it is worth big money to the Chevy square body guys (90-91 suburbans and blazers had updated headlights and grille)

Reactions: 1 user
Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Will the electric speedometer work with the mechanical cruise control?

The Malibu has manual windows, will the window regulators and motors work in the Malibu? Same question for the door locks.

Is there any other things that are worthwhile to take? Things like sway bars that would work?

Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Found one in the junkyard interchange thread and posted by Brother Al

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/the-junkyard-interchange-and-rarities-thread.13366/page-4

Underhood and Trunk Lighting:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are relatively easy modifications that you will get much use out of. If you do not have an underhood light, you can grab one from many other GM vehicles and add it to your car. Another addition, most A/G Bodies were designed to use them on both the left and right sides of the hood, depending on application. It is very easy to add a second light to the unused mounting area. The same goes for the trunk lighting, many cars were available with this, so adding this isn't very hard to add either. Another idea I've used: on some 80's/90's Chevy/GMC, Ford, Dodge Full-Size Trucks/SUV's, you can find the optional extending/retractable underhood light. They are not very common, but are usually found on the upscale versions. These are easily adaptable to add to your car's current underhood or trunk lighting and come in very handy at night. All were used under the hood of trucks, so they are often in rough shape. I added it to the rear trunk area where it was kept clean and dry and served me better. I havn't come across one in awhile, but they are out there.

Overhead Console:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lets face it, most A/G Body's have limited interior lighting and no place to stash your shades and misc items. Those with T-tops have no dome light what so ever. It makes no sense seeing as the Ttop Camaro & Firebird got a dome light, oh well. Some people have added the optional overhead console used in the '82-'92 Camaro/Firebird, (2 versions, Ttop & Non-Ttop). These are very dated looking and really useless, except for the flashlight. A better alternative is the 1998-2004 S10, Blazer/Bravada/Jimmy/Astro Van, Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban/Escalade overhead console. This unit both is very useful, looks good, is easily adaptable to your roofline, and can be wired up to function in your car. There is a lot of wiring and a few sensors that needs to be removed from the doner vehicle, but is well worth the effort. There is also a shortened version used on sunroof equipped trucks which might work in a sunroof equipped A/G body. Starting in 1993, GM began to use this style of overhead console which features several storage compartments (incl. one for your shades), 4 spotlights mounted on adjustable ball sockets, and two dome lights, front & rear. Upscale versions feature a compass/outdoor temp display, the base versions use a blank plastic cover over this area. The early versions, '93-'97, should be avoided due to the use of elastic bands that degrade heavily, sagging with time. The '98-'04 design is basically the same, but far superior because GM revised it, removing the elastic junk. All feature the Compass, outdoor temp, & an ice warning display. An upscale version offered more info on the display, but it would require a lot of crazy homework to make it work and should be avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor