are they really worth it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donnyR

Apprentice
Nov 15, 2009
Harvey IL,60426
i found a complete front dual piston brake setup from a 2000 2wd blazer that i can get for a total of $60.00 complete with fairly decent rotors just slight sorface rust from sitting around. i know people have them on gbody cars but i would like to know is this swap really worth its weight in gold. such as replacement parts cause i know the hubs arent that cheap so that why i ask the people that have them already on there gbody cars was the swap worth doing ?

monteboy84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2005
For $60, definitely do it. I paid $175 for my setup, I just got it but I can't wait to get it installed. Sure, the hubs are expensive to replace if they go bad, but honestly you're not going to be wearing them out more than maybe once in the life of the car.

I like the stock 2-piston calipers plenty, but the main reason I got the Blazer setup was for the purpose of installing C5 Corvette brakes on my Monte Carlo.

Scimitar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2009
For $60???? Hell yes do it! I paid $200 for my setup, but they were worth every bit! With the dual piston setup, stainless steel braided lines, new rear shoes, and a new master cylinder with fresh brake fluid, my Monte will actually out-brake a '07 Monte. A friend of mine has one, and we tested this theory on a back road out in the boonies. Of course, he only went about one car length past me before stopping, and his kicked in the ABS...so it might not have been a "fair" test :mrgreen:

1983mailbuwagon

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2009
are you guys using the spindals or just the rotors pads and calipers? would like to know more about this swap.

Thanks

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yes, I would like to know also. A bolt-on swap?

Scimitar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2009
1983mailbuwagon:
Yes, you use everything between the ball joints (spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers, and the brake hoses)

Bonnewagon:
It is bolt on, as long as you use the Blazer brake hoses and brackets (I screwed up and used the factory G-body brackets and hoses...first hard turn snapped the hose right at the end :doh: :blam: )

The two links donnyR provided also have a wealth of information about the swap. Also, I've done the swap myself, so if you have any questions, PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor