Arm Rest repair ideas wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStanley

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 25, 2016
I have a 1979 Cutlass Calais with buckets.

I have a console center arm rest where the outside paint keeps cracking on top of the rest. Like concentric rings...

But not a deep crack, nothing that needs filling, otherwise still soft and supple cushion part.

We tried solvent based SEM, and water based SEM with proper adhesion promoter, etc..

over some time the cracks came back exactly like they were.

I stripped the paint, which I did back to bare black cushion, cannot see any problem i.e. cracks.

The car is a driver so I do not want to spend $$ for a re-vinyl from Just Dashes.

I was wondering is there a way to “seal” the vinyl to keep it from cracking.

I have a crazy idea of painting on a flexible epoxy first, then color coat.

Any help appreciated.

Andebe

Greasemonkey
Mar 6, 2017
Indiana
L.A.X-Rated,you got a affordable console lid to help a brother out? Just priced a new one,they are pretty proud of those,huh?

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
On a lid I had I just wrapped it in headliner material

Andebe

Greasemonkey
Mar 6, 2017
Indiana
You can buy new replacement console lids for a reasonable price. They are re-pops but quality is good. Trying to fix one with cracks in my opinion is an exercise in futility. Just buy a nice new one and paint it to match
I havent found one under $90.00 bucks yet. What source would you recommend?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor