Astro or Jeep Steering Shaft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The better option is a new unit for a Jeep. Fits the same and only $20
But if one is pulling a used shaft off a Jeep or Astro, the lower bearing is right there and they generally last a long time.

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
can't you just replace the old shaft with a new oem and still get the benefit of the jeep or Astor shaft

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
can't you just replace the old shaft with a new oem and still get the benefit of the jeep or Astor shaft
Sure you can but then it looses the appeal of a "cheap" upgrade when compared to sourcing it from a junkyard from a vehicle with unknown history, mileage and wear.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Why are you bullying me?????:LOL:
Sure you can but then it looses the appeal of a "cheap" upgrade when compared to sourcing it from a junkyard from a vehicle with unknown history, mileage and wear.
Sure you can, but you can go to any car dealer and sign up for 84 monthly payments and never have to get your hands greasy.

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN

;)

But at least if it's coming from a salvage yard vehicle you know the part went through thorough design reviews, tolerance studies, material quality checks and is probably a decent part as it was put on a production vehicle.

Ordering a new part off the interwebz from the virtual scumbags you have no idea what quality the part is, what reverse engineering was done and if they had any idea about spline fits or tolerance, what quality of bearings they used, ect. Yeah it might be shiny and 'new' but as long as it fits the 'if it fits it ships' quality check is that all they care about?

At least that's what I tell myself.

It's a crap shoot either way.

Reactions: 3 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
;)

But at least if it's coming from a salvage yard vehicle you know the part went through thorough design reviews, tolerance studies, material quality checks and is probably a decent part as it was put on a production vehicle.

Ordering a new part off the interwebz from the virtual scumbags you have no idea what quality the part is, what reverse engineering was done and if they had any idea about spline fits or tolerance, what quality of bearings they used, ect. Yeah it might be shiny and 'new' but as long as it fits the 'if it fits it ships' quality check is that all they care about?

At least that's what I tell myself.

It's a crap shoot either way.
I bought the Borgeson shaft to avoid any crap shoot, for the amount of money I have spent on my Gbody's especially my Monte I wasn't going to put a junkyard part between my steering column and gearbox when I have the option to install a quality unit that is brand new.
Obviously there are no guarantees, but this is one of those times where saving an extra hundred bucks or so to use a used part with unknown history didn't seem worth it to me, I know everyone has their own opinion on this and that is fine.
Also since you cut the telescoping shaft during mock ups you can set up the slip joint where you want it, which for my Monte is to avoid the header tube that runs over top and these shafts require no clocking, welding or filing to fit and telescopes easily for installation.
Here is the Borgeson installed on my Regal .
IMG_20210331_181011813.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
I bought the Borgeson shaft

Is that telescoping? I have a question for all the Jeep upgrades.

Does anyone have concern for the lack in and out movement on the 2 u joint shafts as the frame and the body move around? I'm sure there is a bit of movement as we drive the crap out of these cars.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Is that telescoping? I have a question for all the Jeep upgrades.

Does anyone have concern for the lack in and out movement on the 2 u joint shafts as the frame and the body move around? I'm sure there is a bit of movement as we drive the crap out of these cars.
Yes, the Borgeson shaft is telescoping

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor