Astro or Jeep Steering Shaft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Thanks. I hear the jeep/astro steering shafts require the original spline to be notched. What exactly are we notching and what tool would one use? The input shaft is solid metal how would you go about it?
When I installed my Astro shaft, I had to file something for the bolt to pass through. It was just a little notch from what I remember. It only took me like 10 minutes or so to do the job.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
I bought the Borgeson adjustable steering shaft and two u joints for about $135. Easy install and looks great too, and no rag joint.

Reactions: 3 users

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
THE biggest difference between Astro Van and Borgeson steering shafts is cost!!!

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I used the astro shaft on my Cutlass and have maybe $30 tied up. Pulled it from a jy astro for $13. You have to clock the top u joint 90 degrees, then file the intermediate shaft just a bit to get the pinch bolt by....
20210328_112041.jpg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I used the astro shaft on my Cutlass and have maybe $30 tied up. Pulled it from a jy astro for $13. You have to clock the top u joint 90 degrees, then file the intermediate shaft just a bit to get the pinch bolt by.... View attachment 171546
.....plus add a few spot welds, or small beads to the part of the joint that had to be removed and re-clocked. Just to be more secure. Definitely worth the extra effort. I love my Astro shaft. I thank Steve for his suggestion.

• Agree

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
.....plus add a few spot welds, or small beads to the part of the joint that had to be removed and re-clocked. Just to be more secure. Definitely worth the extra effort. I love my Astro shaft. I thank Steve for his suggestion.
Yep, exactly Jack. Actually the u joint on mine is welded and ground smooth plus being peened. It looks nicer and definitely isn't going anywhere!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Yep, exactly Jack. Actually the u joint on mine is welded and ground smooth plus being peened. It looks nicer and definitely isn't going anywhere!
Scott,
I see where you went the extra yard to grind and smooth out the welds. Show quality for sure...like everything else you've done on your car.(y);)

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
When upgrading your steering shaft, don't forget about upgrading the lower steering column bearing. You can just pull the bearing from the donor vehicle.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor