Astro Roof knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ok, I'm going to attempt to ask this again, but in a different way in case my initial query was confusing. Here's what I want to know:

Is it possible to remove the sunshade section of my factory Astro Roof (no glass) without dropping the entire headliner?

The previously supplied link to Astro Roof removal is in depth, however it doesn't answer the question. Also, it's for GN's and T Types, and seems slightly different than what I have.

Has anybody done the sunshade removal without dropping the headliner?

Here's some pics of my setup for reference.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I have factory 1980 Oldsmobile service manuals for both mechanical and body service, but neither cover the Astro Roof option.
Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
Donovan

outragis

n00b
Jun 28, 2013
I have a 1979 Malibu with the same Astro roof as you do, in the 1979 Chevy assembly manual it has a sub chapter on the Astro roof
Maybe you can find one to look at. My copy is packed away in storage. Hope this helps point you in direction. And in the past I took a glass unit out of a 84 olds cutlass and swapped it with the metal unit of a 78. They are the same with updated parts, and glass sun roof!

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have a 1979 Malibu with the same Astro roof as you do, in the 1979 Chevy assembly manual it has a sub chapter on the Astro roof
Maybe you can find one to look at. My copy is packed away in storage. Hope this helps point you in direction. And in the past I took a glass unit out of a 84 olds cutlass and swapped it with the metal unit of a 78. They are the same with updated parts, and glass sun roof!

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

No one else has an Astro Roof, or has attempted to remove the sunshade on one without dropping the entire headliner first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor