Status
Not open for further replies.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hey guys
Thought I'd try and tap into the collective knowledge here to see if anyone can help out.
Not surprisingly, Project Olds Cool suffers from the usual sagging headliner problem, but fortunately enough, only in the middle on the Astro Roof portion.
Being that this is the only G I've owned with an Astro Roof, I'm unfamiliar with how it goes together.
Ideally, I'd like to remove just the interior Astro Roof sun shade section to properly recover it. Is this possible without having to disassemble the interior and drop the rest of the headliner?
If so, can anyone direct me on the best way to go about it? Google searches haven't been very helpful, and I don't want to take anything apart I don't have to, risking breaking 36 year old clips.
TIA,
Donovan

Last edited:

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
My Cutlass has an astroroof as well; that link is what was recommended to me during my research.

Screenshot_2016-08-14-00-12-05.png

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Its been probably 2-3 years since ive had the headliner and sunshade out of my Cutlass. I just left it out until I did the sunroof seals. I still havent recovered them yet. Anyway I actually just finished up doing the pan and glass seal this week. Looks like you've got some good information so far. Good luck, if you you have any other questions let me know. The astroroof isn't as daunting as it seems.

Last edited:

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thanks guys. I guess I'll just have to start ripping and tearing taking things apart till I figure out how to get it out.
:(

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Thanks guys. I guess I'll just have to start ripping and tearing taking things apart till I figure out how to get it out.
:(

Why when the step by step instructions are posted above?

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Why when the step by step instructions are posted above?

Because as I mentioned earlier, the instructions listed don't seem to apply to the Astro Roof on my car.
I don't have the chrome handle he talks about, I don't have glass in mine (it's the moon roof style only), etc etc.
Plus, I'm not looking to remove the entire assembly and sliding mechanism. I only want to remove the sun shade section to recover the fabric on it.
I have nothing visible on mine that appears to be the same as what he's describing.
I attribute it to be the difference between an '85-87 Grand National and my '80 Cutlass.
And yes, I'm 100% sure it's a factory Astro Roof. It's definitely not aftermarket.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
I have an '83 Cutlass w/factory astroroof, so maybe yours is aftermarket.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor