attention pontiac powered owners need info

Status
Not open for further replies.

ripper1991

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 16, 2005
can anyone send/post photos of the correct position for motor mounts on pontiac equipped g bodys as mine had a chevy when i bought it.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
If you are using the factory Pontiac motor mounts (which would be from a 301 or 265 Pontiac engine, as these are the only factory Pontiac V8s offered in the G-body) then you should be able to bolt the same style rubber clamshell type mounts in the same spot that the chevy mounts are now. The 265/301 engine used a chevy style rubber replaceable lower and then their own custom upper brackets that bolt to the engine.

I have a picture of the mounts but I can't post pictures here (I'm just not getting them to load, don't know why) so this is the only help I can give.

If you are trying to use the old style where you have a rubber mount on the engine block and a stamped steel stand that bolts to the frame, you must re-drill the frame to match them perfectly. I don't think the stands will line up properly if the Buick or Olds position in the frame is used.

Here's what I do for all engine swaps:

1. Remove old chevy engine and discard
2. Use junked engine from the proper family and strip it down to a bare block. If you are going Pontiac, any Pontiac V8 will work from 69 or newer.
3. Bolt just the rubber motor mounts AND the steel brackets to the bare block.
4. Use a junked transmission that is the same as the good transmission that you will be using. Strip this junk transmission down to the housing with just the output shaft and retainer installed. You can usually get a junk core transmission for 25-50 bucks.
5. Bolt the junk transmission/engine combo together.
6. Line up the transmission with the transmission crossmember and then loosely bolt it in after setting the engine/trans assembly under hood.
7. With the trans loosely bolted in, lower the engine until the mounts are sitting on the frame. Now you can monkey it around to get it generally going straight and centered.
8. With the engine where you want it, tighten the trans mounts and crossmember bolts.
9. Now, mark the motor mounts on the frame with spray paint and let dry.
10. Pull out junk assembly, drill or slot holes to match your paint marks, and then install your frame brackets or lower motor mounts.

You may have to also install some junk heads/exhaust etc... if you think you're gonna have clearance problems with your swap and then clearance whatever else is in the way. It's time consuming, but it makes your install clean and factory looking.

Good luck!

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
I can get pics and meaurements tomorrow.

There are different holes drilled and my engine is out,good timing for you!

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
228480207208_0_BG1.jpg

Here is a shot of the 301G vs 301/400F engine mount.
You must use the 301 mount on the left(Pontiac blue)as the Fbody 301/400 mount sets the engine up higher and hood, as well as trans tunnel clearance becomes an issue.

All the holes are already there for the clamshell mount on the frame, no drilling needed.

First shot is p/s ,second d/s.

728480207208_0_ALB1.jpg

538480207208_0_ALB1.jpg

Also the clamshell/frame mount must be for Pontiac ( F & G body are the same) also.

The chevy clamshell is a different part #.

If you decide to use a poly clamshell mount,they don't make them for Pontiac but I can tell you how to mod a chevy one to work.

If you need more help let me know,done this swap a number of times.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
I really like those fabbed motor mount brackets. I think I'll do more like that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor