auto start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pharoh

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2008
Chicago
has anyone tried installing this type of system on their gbody auto i have a 88 monte looking to do this and get all the key locks removed, car is too easy to steal.

79LT1Monte

Apprentice
Nov 25, 2007
Moscow Mills, Missouri
Don't know how well it would work with a carb, do you have to pump the pedal a few times before it starts? As far as removing the door locks I don't see that slowing any car thieves down, a good steering column collar will!

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
With a working choke and good tuned carb its not a problem if you have to pump it to start it your choke isn't working right.

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
andrewmp6 said:
With a working choke and good tuned carb its not a problem if you have to pump it to start it your choke isn't working right.

You're forgetting that you need to depress the accelerator to allow the choke to close. There's no such thing as a choke that closes by itself.

Rockstar

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2007
Tampa,Fl
I had remote start and keyless entry (doors shaved) on my grand prix and am working on doing this to the Monte. I had no problems with it starting by remote, the only problem i would have is forgeting the keys in the car and shuting the door but after a few times doing it i had no problem rolling down the window with a hanger. The Monte has power windows so im going to make sure i have a backup switch to trigger the doors.

Pharoh

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2008
Chicago
thanks for the ideas i guess i could look into it more but i know the starter needs replacing so once thats done i shouldn't have any problem getting it started, how easy is this to change out(the starter)

Rockstar

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2007
Tampa,Fl
Its alot easier if you can get the car in the air. Iv done them on jack stands and its a pain tryin to hold a 30 lbs starter with one hand and starting a bolt with the other while laying on your back.

chevy94ss

Apprentice
May 23, 2006
owasso, oklahoma
Its alot easier if you can get the car in the air. Iv done them on jack stands and its a pain tryin to hold a 30 lbs starter with one hand and starting a bolt with the other while laying on your back.

X2 especially when the replacement starter was bad to begin with, back under the car we go. good news is your forearms get a nice little workout lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor