Not open for further replies.

rose350

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2013
Illinois
IMG_0975.PNG
IMG_0981.PNG
IMG_0982.PNG
I finally got to autocross my car for the first time over the weekend at the NSRA Nationals in Louisville,KY over the weekend and it was a blast

• Winner
Reactions: 11 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Glad you had fun! That's why we work so hard building these cars to perform!

Sadly, the few times I autocrossed the wagon in the 90's, I was the self-designated DNFer. I realized that while I have mechanical chops, my driving skills needed waaaaaay more work. I flattened many a cone getting confused which way they were directing me to go.

rose350

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2013
Illinois

Sadly, the few times I autocrossed the wagon in the 90's, I was the self-designated DNFer. I realized that while I have mechanical chops, my driving skills needed waaaaaay more work. I flattened many a cone getting confused which way they were directing me to go.

I was afraid of not knowing which way to go but after watching and riding once with a friend it was pretty self explanatory. I definitely need some practice though but I was impressed with having a stock motor and street tires.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It's nice to see these cars built to handle, whether it's autocross, gymkhana, road courses, canyon carving, etc. It's good to see what these cars can do rather than the usual blast down a 1/8 or 1/4 mile.
Thanks for sharing your experience and pics.

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

rose350

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2013
Illinois
Looks like fun how did you do in comparison to the other cars?
Against actual autocross built cars I was about 3 seconds slower but they have built motors and a softer compound tire and a lot of experience.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Against actual autocross built cars I was about 3 seconds slower but they have built motors and a softer compound tire and a lot of experience.
Still looks like fun I'd like to try it go out there and shred my 14" tires with my stock suspension sounds like a good time

Reactions: 3 users

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
[random super tired post-race-weekend ramble]
It's all about the relationship between your tires and the racing surface. Be as smooth as you can with your feet and hands.
The worse your tires are, the easier you can uncover your mistakes and bad habits.
Sticky tires: an aid to the experienced, a crutch to the inexperienced. (I am still the latter of the two.) Get a feel for controlling oversteer and understeer first. Slicks will hide many bad habits and can rob you of meaningful practice. Once you master bad tires, you can take full advantage of good tires.
Lastly, don't stress about the competition at first. Spend your first few events learning technique and your machine. If you beat someone, that's just a bonus.
[/random super tired post-race-weekend ramble]

Reactions: 1 users

rose350

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2013
Illinois
[random super tired post-race-weekend ramble]
It's all about the relationship between your tires and the racing surface. Be as smooth as you can with your feet and hands.
The worse your tires are, the easier you can uncover your mistakes and bad habits.
Sticky tires: an aid to the experienced, a crutch to the inexperienced. (I am still the latter of the two.) Get a feel for controlling oversteer and understeer first. Slicks will hide many bad habits and can rob you of meaningful practice. Once you master bad tires, you can take full advantage of good tires.
Lastly, don't stress about the competition at first. Spend your first few events learning technique and your machine. If you beat someone, that's just a bonus.
[/random super tired post-race-weekend ramble]
I'm not stressing at all. I had a blast and was very pleased with the car and myself for being my first time doing it. It's definitely an adrenaline rush.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
It's nice to see these cars built to handle, whether it's autocross, gymkhana, road courses, canyon carving, etc. It's good to see what these cars can do rather than the usual blast down a 1/8 or 1/4 mile.
Thanks for sharing your experience and pics.
Sure enough Jack, more badass cars showed up after all!

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor