New user, long time reader, finally getting my G body built.

Misfit-Malibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 14, 2023
Hello fellow g body enthusiasts! I’m not new here by any means, I’ve been coming here to read g body stuff ever since I bought my 1980 Malibu in January ‘15 when I had just turned 16. Due to living with a busy single mom and having a lot going on I never got the chance too get my license and drive her a whole lot and in January ‘16 I became disabled and have been in a wheelchair ever since and the car sat because I didn’t have the heart to sell it, my grandmother whom passed away from cancer shortly after wrote me a check for Christmas and it was enough money to add what I had saved to get the car so I wasn’t letting her go. And I’m glad I didn’t because although I don’t have the money to build it out how I want it and that being a bucket list thing among getting to ride in it and taking it to car shows and race events, a good family friend of mine has offered to have it built at a shop and it’ll hopefully be a dream come true. I’ll post the build in the build thread because I have a few questions and I would like to share the process with fellow g body enthusiasts who would appreciate and enjoy the story and who may want to help however they can. I appreciate the community and wealth of knowledge here and I look forward to making new friends and learning more g body stuff. This picture is when I first got it.
Resized_Resized_CAM00816_951473635835946.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Welcome to the GBodyForum!
They make hand controls that can be added to your car so you can control the accelerator and brakes. I knew a guy that could not use his legs and had those controls in his 455 "69 Firebird. As well as his newer daily driver.

Reactions: 1 user

Misfit-Malibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 14, 2023
Welcome to the GBodyForum!
They make hand controls that can be added to your car so you can control the accelerator and brakes. I knew a guy that could not use his legs and had those controls in his 455 "69 Firebird. As well as his newer daily driver.
I wish I had the ability to do that because that would definitely be something built into it! I only have the use of my right arm and no fine motor skills so sadly that’s not an option for me, but I’m definitely getting a custom car seat (like a kids car seat but a little bigger and the ability to support my body better) made that can be put into the passenger seat so I can go for a ride around the block, or down the strip 🤘

Misfit-Malibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 14, 2023
Damn, 17 and in a wheel chair, hopefully you got a way to get in that car and enjoy it.
Yeah it’s a long and sad story, I wanted to build the car myself but life happens. I’m just grateful that I have the opportunity to have it built, and we’re definitely going to have a way to get me in it, I know I’ll get to enjoy it.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Glad to hear you are looking at the bright side of things, looking forward to seeing this come together for you. What are some of your plans for it?

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Awesome attitude.

What city/state are you in? That might help w/resource suggestions from the group.

RRichards86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2023
Hello fellow g body enthusiasts! I’m not new here by any means, I’ve been coming here to read g body stuff ever since I bought my 1980 Malibu in January ‘15 when I had just turned 16. Due to living with a busy single mom and having a lot going on I never got the chance too get my license and drive her a whole lot and in January ‘16 I became disabled and have been in a wheelchair ever since and the car sat because I didn’t have the heart to sell it, my grandmother whom passed away from cancer shortly after wrote me a check for Christmas and it was enough money to add what I had saved to get the car so I wasn’t letting her go. And I’m glad I didn’t because although I don’t have the money to build it out how I want it and that being a bucket list thing among getting to ride in it and taking it to car shows and race events, a good family friend of mine has offered to have it built at a shop and it’ll hopefully be a dream come true. I’ll post the build in the build thread because I have a few questions and I would like to share the process with fellow g body enthusiasts who would appreciate and enjoy the story and who may want to help however they can. I appreciate the community and wealth of knowledge here and I look forward to making new friends and learning more g body stuff. This picture is when I first got it. View attachment 226324
Welcome to the forum! This is a good group and a very helpful resource. Great story and good luck with your build!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor