Automatic or Manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyv713

Apprentice
May 19, 2008
First of all, I have an 87 Cutlass, and I am planning on putting in a pretty beefy 383 stroker. My machine shop says it will be making 400 to 500 horsepower with the right parts. When I get this motor in I want to take the car to the track on the weekends but also drive it all week. Would I be better off running a manual or automatic trans?

Money is a big factor also, considering that I am 16 and I dont make much money. I already have a 200-4R that is in working condition, and if i go automatic, I would like to use it and have it beefed up but I dont know which way would be cheaper and better for my application?

I think in your case I'd lean toward getting the 200-4R built to live behind the 383. Unless you already have the parts to swap in a manual set-up, that too can get rather costly.
As much as I like rowing thru the gears, an automatic might be more practical for you. If the car is going to do more track duty than highway, maybe consider a built TH-350 trans.

Ya this car will see the hghway more than the track. I will probably just run it maybe every other weekend or so. So, in my case the 200-4R and some nice gears will do better than the manual?

Alright thanks guys. I'll start collecting parts and stuff now for when it warms up so i can start the swap! I'll be sure to take a lot of pics and keep you guys posted.

Nothing shifts faster than an automatic :lol: :lol:

madmaxstyle said:

.....except ME! :twisted:

Jonnyv713, I would go with your 200R4, built right it will live! You state that you are going to do a lot of highway cruising, you could really gear up the rearend {4.11's, 4.56's even 4.88's} and still churn under 3000 RPM's at 65 MPH. With any of those gear ratios at the track you should be able to easily run LOW 8's in the 1/8 or mid 12's in the 1/4!! I run 8 seconds flat with 4.11's and a TH350 in the 1/8th mile. If you have the "stock" 7.5" rearend in your Cutty, putting a manual transmission in with 400 plus HP you will definately gernade the rearend quickly! Manual trannies are very hard on rearends when you "beat"on them. The 7.5" rears are only good for about 350HP with stock internals. A buddy of mine has a 383 stroker, Dynoed at 415 HP and sprays an additional 100 shot of nitrous in his Monte SS. He used a "low mileage" 200R4 that he put a shift kit in and a 2400 stall converter. It has survived for 3 years now. He also hits the track on the weekends.
Good luck!! HP JUNKEY

madmaxstyle said:

maybe not but you need to factor in the slippage in an auto transmission and the hp it takes to run the auto transmission and the ability to shift a manual at whatever rpm you chose to

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor