Auxiliary water pump for engine off heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
In cold weather, I usually find myself sitting in the car with the engine off before work or while sitting in the drive-thru so I dont waste gas. This usually leaves the heat not working after about 30 seconds since there is no circulation to the heater core.

To fix this, I located an auxiliary water pump off of an 02-07 Dodge Durango.
IMG_20190809_001141_0.jpg

This pump has 3/4 inch fittings, with the outlet pointing up. I installed mine into the outlet hose, with the pump pulling water from the heater core and pumping back into the engine.

IMG_20190810_201604_1.jpg

I got the engine up to operating temperature, then shut the car off and ran the pump and fan for a solid 10 minutes. The heat was just as hot after 10 minutes as when I turned the motor off.

I haven't decided whether to wire the motor off of a seperate switch, or add it to key on power and let it always run. These motors are rated for continuous duty and use less than an amp of power.

Hopefully this helps you Northerners stay warm this winter.

• Creative
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor