B&M Z gate shifter Nuetral safety switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlownSmoke

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2009
I need to know the location of it and how i would hook up the wires? Let me know everything i need... :blam:

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
the nuetral safety switch is in the column and its def electronic. i hooked up my z gate in my 86 cutlass without finding the thing. i have yet to get a replacement column. i would just remember to only start in nuetral and park even though it will start in any gear...

BlownSmoke

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2009
mines not hooked up but it wont let my car start at all else i wouldn't care.... have any clue?

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
well i havent removed anything related to the column or its shifter. i just tied it all to the frame before it got cold here. so basically my car "thinks" its in park even though it starts in neutral. also if the column accidentalls slides out of the park position it wont let me pull my key out.

BlownSmoke

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2009
Oh ok i see what your talking about, mine is originally a floor shifter but i was actually thinking of your idea before hand :mrgreen: ITs freezing over here too so i didnt feel like playing around with it but i guess tomorrow ill play with it to see if i get it in park if it will work like that then zip tie it to that position. THANKS

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
i just checked bmracing.com and it says that if there is a lock to the column that it must be blocked which makes sense. you should go to the z gate page and read the instructons a few times even though its straightforward. also dont let your cable get anywhere near the exhaust or the spinning driveshaft. that thing will melt like nobodys business. try not to lose a finger or two io the cold. i gotta replace valve cover gaskets tomorrow. ugh.

BlownSmoke

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2009
haha yeah my right hand is so cut up right now cuz i cant feel my grip and then lose it just to bang into a screw or sharp peice of metal... I read the directions but i dont know where the safety switch is located and witch wires to connect. Ill figure it out tho. I mean i pretty much did a 305 to 383 motor swap blind folded, Never did before and i actually succeeded nicely!

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
When I installed a B&M Quicksliver in my brother's '81 I just used the factory linkage off the trans.

I took the original cable bracket off the side of the trans and cut it. Then I took the bracket supplied with the new shifter and welded the two together. Bolted it back onto the trans and reattached the linkage arm that runs up to the steering column.

Pretty quick and simple. ;)

This is a friend of mine's website which it what I followed when I did mine:

http://spdrcer34.20megsfree.com/photo5.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor