Back at the track for the 1st time in 10 years...good and bad news!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coltrane

Apprentice
Jul 6, 2020
Since I recently purchased my 85 Monte SS, I figured it's time to get back to the track for the first time in 10 years! I headed down to Atco for their Tuesday night gambler's race, and there was both good and bad news about it.

Car is stock for now (have big plans for this winter) and went 16.60 and 16.62 for my 2 time runs (weather was about 88* and HUMID. For 1st round, I dialed a 16.65 (and was racing a 10.50 car). Here's the good news - I went 16.651! A thousandth over my dial. The bad news? I went .01 red 🤬🤬 It's all good though - I definitely had more fun than ANYONE there last night. I can't wait to get back out again, and I REALLY can't wait to tear into the car this winter 😈

• Wow
Reactions: 9 users

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
What motor is in it? As long as you had fun and kept the shiny side up, that's all that matters!

Reactions: 1 user

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Since I recently purchased my 85 Monte SS, I figured it's time to get back to the track for the first time in 10 years! I headed down to Atco for their Tuesday night gambler's race, and there was both good and bad news about it.

Car is stock for now (have big plans for this winter) and went 16.60 and 16.62 for my 2 time runs (weather was about 88* and HUMID. For 1st round, I dialed a 16.65 (and was racing a 10.50 car). Here's the good news - I went 16.651! A thousandth over my dial. The bad news? I went .01 red 🤬🤬 It's all good though - I definitely had more fun than ANYONE there last night. I can't wait to get back out again, and I REALLY can't wait to tear into the car this winter 😈
So you’re going to take a perfectly good reliable street car and chop it up and change a bunch parts and spent a pocketful of cash on it til it’s fast loud and unreliable ?
…I like your style :)

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Coltrane

Apprentice
Jul 6, 2020
So you’re going to take a perfectly good reliable street car and chop it up and change a bunch parts and spent a pocketful of cash on it til it’s fast loud and unreliable ?
…I like your style :)
😂😂 I have a motor and trans ready from my ‘84 that got totalled, so that will be going in it. The car will stay just as nice 😎

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
For $400-500 on a stock motor you can really make for a good time with a plate nitrous kit.

I have an '84 SS , no where near as clean as yours, that makes some steam on the cheap. But only two factory gauges are still being called into duty. Hope it is all you want - nice car and have fun.

Reactions: 3 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Don’t lose the consistency. Now with the red light rule changing there is nothing wrong with being the slower car.

-dw-

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2021
Central MN
I have been to the track many times for the last 20yrs. Around ten yrs ago I thought I had the good hang of it. I was at an Olds race and the first pass I was trying to stage when somehow I rolled the front tires past both staging lights. Omg how embarrassing. I quickly noticed my mistake, backed up and staged. Then I pulled off a .000 reaction. 😁

Reactions: 1 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
What red light rule
In the bracket world it has been slowly being adapted to change the slower car having the first chance to redlight to worst redlight. It used to be the advantage of the faster car that if the slower car redlit the race was over. NOW what they are doing at some tracks, and most of the high dollar races is the first car leaves on a green light (even if he technically redlit). If the faster car leaves and goes green, the slower car tree then goes red. IF the faster car redlights by more than the slower car, the bulb in the faster car lane will go red and he will be out. I guess it makes it more fair to everyone, but it was a benefit of being the quicker car. Just like being the slower car gave you the benefit of leaving first on the tree and not having to watch your opponent go by the tree in the background. But I guess with crossover delay boxes, this distraction was taken away from the faster cars. By the way, I was a bracket racer for 30 years spending the last 20 top bulb racing in Super eliminator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor