Back on the G Body

Status
Not open for further replies.

corkatoa

Burger Flipper
Jul 6, 2013
Creston, BC, Canada
Having stared at my projects for many years, I am eager to get back to them. Three kids are the more important investment of my time right now, and fortunately my wife doesn't hammer me too hard.

I hope the underside is in better shape than the bumper. Kevin (O.D.Showtime) is in a neighboring province and has a way of finding things. Keep up the good work. And absolutely, drive the wheels off it!

underside is almost perfect. was frame off to replace rear frame rails. Job looks to have been done perfectly. Was then painted and undercoated. The bumper was to be replaced but now it is up to me.
image1.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

corkatoa

Burger Flipper
Jul 6, 2013
Creston, BC, Canada
Got under the hood finally and found some good and bad. Bad is that the 305 is the most pathetic it can be with small valve heads and was literally pissing oil out the front corners of the valve covers.
IMG_0341.JPG
Quickly took care of the problem.
IMG_0366.JPG IMG_0347.JPG
Was very surprised by the quality of these valve covers, seem a lot nicer than last set of cheapos I had by a long ways. Came with nice studs and caps.
Also pleasantly surprised by this:
IMG_0340.JPG
Ran kind of rough, but I was told gas was a few years old. But when it was running I noticed when I goosed it that the distributor moved.:rolleyes: So I decide to check timing and I see that the #1 wire is at about the 11 o'clock position. :wtf: So tonight distributor comes out and gets put in properly. I mean it still runs 180 out, but really, who does that?

While digging, I came across the next engine for this car. Tucked away in a corner, do not remember where I got it, but it is the one.
IMG_0374.JPG
Just need some vortec heads and I will be set. Will have this block stripped and sent out for machine work by next Monday.

GN diff and transmission will hopefully be in by next week as soon as new trailing arms come in. Whole lot of work but I am sure a lot happier with a G Body in the garage.

Reactions: 1 users

corkatoa

Burger Flipper
Jul 6, 2013
Creston, BC, Canada
Block literally tucked away out of sight for years. I think it came out of an early 70's truck, but not sure.
IMG_0380.JPG
When I was moving stuff, came across something really cool. I own the first house ever built in the nearest town, Creston. It was built in 1918, and I have done a lot of things to it over the years. I had removed a wall years ago and kept the boards because they were covered in old newspapers. As I was moving them from in front of the engine, this caught my eye.
IMG_0378.JPG
Check under the comic on the end. There is a Buick ad! So I looked above and found some want ads for used cars. I love the "new battery, pistons and ...", or the "electric starter" as an option. Even a few 'wanted' ads for parts. Some things never change. What is cool is the mileage on some of them, like 8000 miles!! That is a lot of miles on wagon trail roads in the mountains back then. Nearest pavement was a few hundred miles away at the time.
IMG_0382.JPG IMG_0386.JPG
Engine out of hiding and almost on the stand for teardown. Tonight for sure.
IMG_0387.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 153
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Whats the plan with motor, or I should ask goal?

Almost forgot - NICE Cutty. The only thing better than a Cutty is a Cutty wagon lol!

corkatoa

Burger Flipper
Jul 6, 2013
Creston, BC, Canada
Well, I am at the point where brakes and handling are more important than 1/4 mile times; not sure when that happened:unsure: Maybe when I moved to the mountains and have the best twisty roads in the country? Maybe that was when, ya.
I would shoot for 350 hp and be happy. Any more could be accomplished with a little squirt from a blue bottle I have laying around somewhere. :cool:

I also have a fresh TBI sitting in my garage, just would need vortec heads and an intake. I also have a 96 and 99 yukon that one could donate their engine, both are strong and I only need one running. Why does nobody use the FI on those? My 96 is cammed and cold air intake, throttle body/spacer etc and is an absolute beast in a 6000lb vehicle. Would be lots in the Cutlass.
So I am going to clean up that 010 block for sure, get it machined just because. But I will probably go with the TBi as it can accomplish the goal for a lot less than a whole rebuild, and a lot less time which is what I have the least of. If I can find some vortec heads, which seems to be difficult in these parts.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I'd spend money on a roller can block before an older 2-pc. You might consider making it into a 383, though.

corkatoa

Burger Flipper
Jul 6, 2013
Creston, BC, Canada
I'd spend money on a roller can block before an older 2-pc. You might consider making it into a 383, though.

No investment required. Have this:
IMG_0401.JPG IMG_0402.JPG

Bought last fall for $700, was 5 litres low on transmission fluid and guy thought it was done. Added fluid and have put 13000km on it with no issues. tires were more than the truck. Have a newer nicer one with leather so this one is probably going to be a parts truck.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
That is the bestengine swap ever. You get every accessory, all the wiring and controls in one self-propelled package. Drive it until its ready to be a donor!

• Agree

corkatoa

Burger Flipper
Jul 6, 2013
Creston, BC, Canada
That is the bestengine swap ever. You get every accessory, all the wiring and controls in one self-propelled package. Drive it until its ready to be a donor!
I have yet to see anyone use the complete engine with the FI. It is ready. Have a 99 Tahoe that is much nicer and even cheaper-free. Needed everything you can imagine, but pretty nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor