Back Seat Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
Installing a full set of new seats in the Monte this year starting with the rear. The front seats were pulled from a wrecked '05 GTO but the yard wanted nearly as much for the rear set. A trip to the pick-and-pull revealed a set that looks like they could be made to fit with minor modifications. The plan is to fit the new seat's padding onto the old frame for ease of installation.
Current seats:
DSC_0434.jpg

Proposed replacement (will obviously need to be recovered in oxblood):
DSC_0436.jpg

Really comfortable, needs to be a little wider at the top. Expecting to replace the perforated section with original velour to maintain a hint of originality.
Looking good?

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
jd20102011 said:
did you need up swapping it out or did it not fit good looks sick tho :D
That was just a mock-up. I'll be swapping the cushions onto the old frame and then it goes out for upholstery. I'll be updating if/when progress is made.

383S10

Master Mechanic
Mar 16, 2008
Toney, AL
Various seats will fit in g-bodies......the seats in my Regal are out of a 91-93 Buick LeSabre.....the only draw back is the seats wont tilt forward for rear access but will slide forward enough to gain access to the backseat area............
Picture003.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
OSFleming said:
Dude thats awesome. What car did those come out of? Looking to redo the inside of mine!
Cadillac Eldorado, '01 or so. They're more comfortable than most front seats. That's a $40 investment so far. 8)
Can't wait to see them in the right color.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Clutch_Grabwell said:
Installing a full set of new seats in the Monte this year starting with the rear. The front seats were pulled from a wrecked '05 GTO but the yard wanted nearly as much for the rear set. A trip to the pick-and-pull revealed a set that looks like they could be made to fit with minor modifications. The plan is to fit the new seat's padding onto the old frame for ease of installation.
Current seats:
DSC_0434.jpg

Proposed replacement (will obviously need to be recovered in oxblood):
DSC_0436.jpg

Really comfortable, needs to be a little wider at the top. Expecting to replace the perforated section with original velour to maintain a hint of originality.
Looking good?

Are those rear seats also from a gto??

383S10

Master Mechanic
Mar 16, 2008
Toney, AL
JBreu......I believe he said those were Cadillac Eldorado 01 seats.....but was motivated by the cost of some 05 GTO he saw at another salvage yard which made him go to the local pull a part to a cheaper fix........I think that what happened.....anyway they're nicer than the Buick LaSabre seats I used in my Regal.....

• Agree

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
And we're back...
For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to weld sections of the bottom Eldo seat frame to the Monte seat frame. Disassembling the Monte seat was easy. Remove the hog rings and everything comes apart: frame, cushion, and upholstery. Not so easy with the Eldo. The foam appears to have been poured around the frame in a mold and separating the two was a project.
This is pieces of the Eldo frame welded to the Monte seat to maintain the profile the new cushion had before.
DSC_0043.jpg

This is the upper section of the Monte seat frame laid over the Eldo upper. The Caddy must have had a longer wheelbase as there were no cutouts for the rear wheelhouses as there were on the Monte. The sides of the Eldo frame had already been removed and chunks of foam were sliced away (with a carving knife from the kitchen :roll: ) as well as a couple of inches off the bottom to clear the mounting straps.
DSC_0046.jpg

I didn't find it necessary to completely separate the upper frame from the foam (and I'm second-guessing myself about the lower) and attached the Eldo upper the to the old frame with zip-ties. This may or may not end up being permanent.
Here are both sections installed as were the originals. This looked good until temporarily reattaching the upholstery and installing the armrest. The armrest hole needs to be slotted upwards to compensate for the upper being lower in relation to its original installation. The upper could go higher to solve this but the headrests are right where I want them.
DSC_0047.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor