Back Seat Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fabrication is nearly done on the bottom frame. One more visit to my buddy with the welder (and more beer) should finish this phase.
A couple of do-overs: On each side, one of the donor supports got off on a tangent. It's visible in the upper left of the photo. These will have to be ground free and reconfigured. The shiny strip in the lower left was transplanted from the upper frame and is replacing a badly rusted piece found on the donor bottom. This is a weight-bearing part of the seat that needed a little extra support.
DSC_0049.jpg

Still needed is bracing between the old frame and new in front to support the lucky back seat passengers. Before getting too busy with the upper, I'll be fitting 3-point seat belts in back. Surely some foam will need to be shaped to clear the retractor which will be floor mounted where the old lap-belt retractor is now.
DSC_0050.jpg

Dam that looks like more work than installing fronts for sure! I sure hope I dont have to do this much when I get around to installing the back bmw seat But I give you props for some clean fabricating

Did some foam carving and fitting today. It's starting to take shape...
This is the back of the upper seat with a section of the donor frame cut away for wheel well clearance. The original frame is attached to the back for ease of installation. The upholsterer will have to add foam to the sides to match the old frame width.
DSC_0051.jpg

The armrest slot has been reshaped (badly) but it's possible that a structural rod encased in foam will not have to be moved.
DSC_0052.jpg

I sliced a few inches of foam from the bottom of the upper and now the seat will slide into place beneath it. Still haven't ordered the three-point seat belts for the back. This is why stuff takes so long...
Head room is tight for me (6'1") but I'm not planning on spending much time back there.
DSC_0053.jpg

This might be the end of the welding on the bottom frame. The square tubes are in place to support the gap between the Monte and Caddy sections.
DSC_0056.jpg

Headrests visible through the rear window. Soon to be covered in vinyl. I'll ask about leather but if it's too spendy...
DSC_0055.jpg

And we're back...
The trim shop had custody of the car for about two weeks. The results speak for themselves. The only issue is the panel behind the armrest pocket got overlooked. No biggie, we'll fix that when the front seats go in for recovering.
DSC_0065.jpg

Like i said in another thread that right there looks amazing . cant wait to see the whole thing done . how much it cost ya for recovering if u dont mind me asking

Bowiemontecarlo86 said:
how much it cost ya for recovering if u dont mind me asking

I'd rather not get into that. I got an estimate prior to starting the work for the upholstery and 'some' fitment time but he ended up putting way more hours into this than he planned. Over estimate but he ended up delivering a bargain.
There won't be any surprises when the buckets get done. No custom work there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor