Backspacing on a 17x9 wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
17x9 with 5inch backspace in the rear would work with drum or disc brakes. 17x8 would work with a 4 or 4.5 backspace for the front. If your using the 17x9 I would go with a something bigger tire wise for the rear like 275/40/17 unless you want to run the same size tire front and back. Ive used 17x9.5 with 5inch backspace on my el camino and Malibu and a friend's regal with no issues.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
I am running 17x9.5 rears with 5" BS on my SS with 285/40's. She is close but clears the frame, since I lowered her 2" the tires will actually rub the wheel well lip if you go through a big dip in the road fast and the rear springs compress quickly. View attachment 69962

Good to know! Got 5.125BS on my 9.5s but will just run 275s on mine. The measurements looked good but until you actually get them on the car and drive it . . .

Nice car BTW!

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
Good to know! Got 5.125BS on my 9.5s but will just run 275s on mine. The measurements looked good but until you actually get them on the car and drive it . . .

Nice car BTW!
Thanks. I wish I would have done my frame notch first then ordered my wheels with another 1/2" BS so it would clear the outer wheel well lip with no clearance issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor