Bad harmonic balancer symptoms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I have been having a rough idle I just can't get rid of. Checked under the car and saw the rubber inside the balancer is all dry cracked,mI can even flake some off with my fingernail. As far as Iknow it the original balancer for the engine, a 86 L69 305. Everything else seems to check out ok.

Vilanus

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 13, 2020
If the rubber looks bad replace it. For the rough idle, check for vaccum leaks, spark plugs, wires, cap, egr if equipped, carb tuning, timing, compression, converter...

Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I smoked the engine and there are no vacuum leaks, spark plugs and O2 sensor are new, EGR valve is ok, carb is set to factory specs and I can get the correct dwell despite the rough idle. Supposedly a bad balancer can mimic a misfire by causing uneven RPMs.

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
I agree that if its looking that bad just replace it and see it that remedies your problem. if you dont have a puller and installer tool you can always rent them from autozone.

Reactions: 1 user

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Even though the rubber is bad, unless you can see it wobbling its not the cause of a rough idle. Its a neutrally balanced balancer, meaning it can spin on the hub and still be balanced.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
I smoked the engine and there are no vacuum leaks, spark plugs and O2 sensor are new, EGR valve is ok, carb is set to factory specs and I can get the correct dwell despite the rough idle. Supposedly a bad balancer can mimic a misfire by causing uneven RPMs.
Did this rough idle appear out of no where? I think a little more history leading up to the problem might help us identify the problem.

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
It just popped up out of nowhere. The EGR valve holds vacuum, no trouble codes, good compression, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor