BBody brake booster/Master cylinder swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
I did the blazer front brake swap with slotted and drilled rotors on my Malibu and I want to upgrade the brake booster and master cylinder. I’ve read the best swap is the bbody 1990 caprice combo. I’m also planning to do a rear Camaro disc brake swap on the rear

10.75 is the biggest or correct diaphram size right?

When doing the swap are the brake lines the same on the original and bbody master cylinder ? For some reason I thought I read somewhere that you need to switch the brake line order going into the master cylinder ?

Last edited:

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
mobileaudio, go over to MonteCarloSS.com and then to "Do-It-Yourself" in the forum list, you'll find a two page post of the B-Body swap you're asking about.

Doug

Reactions: 1 user

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
mobileaudio, go over to MonteCarloSS.com and then to "Do-It-Yourself" in the forum list, you'll find a two page post of the B-Body swap you're asking about.

Doug
Yeah I’ve read that, that’s the post that originally gave me the swap idea. It doesn’t say if you need to swap the brake lines but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the lines on the master cylinder need to be reversed

Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Changing the booster, master cylinder or calipers will change braking force and pedal feel but changing brake lines will have no effect.
all things being equal, you are correct. but the caprice master is a stepped master, one piston is larger than the other. in which case, brake line orientation is important. as well as master port size is different, one line is 3/16, the other line is 1/4.
joe

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
You could always follow the routing on the donor Caprice and compare it to your car to see if you need to reverse the lines.

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
all things being equal, you are correct. but the caprice master is a stepped master, one piston is larger than the other. in which case, brake line orientation is important. as well as master port size is different, one line is 3/16, the other line is 1/4.
joe
So are you saying the caprice master cylinder has two different size brake lines going into the master cylinder? Could I run an adaptor that way I don’t have to run all new brake lines to whicher line is larger I’m assuming the front?

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
i looked on rockautos website at master cylinders for an 80 malibu, 86 monte and a 90 caprice, all three had the same thread sizes at the master cylinder ports. 1/2x20 and 9/16x18
joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor