Beefed up electronic 442 Qjet from Everyday Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
88cscb said:
Ignorant question. Is the jetting the only difference between the vin 9 and vin y carbs?
No. Besides some calibrations and jetting/rod sizes which is the main thing, there's also the secondary "flap" tang that prevents Y engine secondary air valve from opening fully. VIN 9 engines don't have the tang. There's little difference otherwise.

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
88cscb said:
Ignorant question. Is the jetting the only difference between the vin 9 and vin y carbs?

From the carbs I have seen, the primary sides are the same for Vin Y and Vin9 carbs.

However, the secondary side of the Vin9 carbs have richer secondary rods and larger air flap open distance measurements

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Minion1186 said:
I've also heard about the restamping for 1985 442 carbs, mine wasnt one of the lucky ones that got restamped, but it is a correct Qjet for an 85 442. My 85 442 is also missing the cowl tag but has the RPO sticker in the trunk. I've read that some had both the stickers and tags and some just the sticker, don't know how true that is though.
Got a picture of that? Do you know when the car was built? Mine was built in Feb 85, near the end of the cycle, so I'm curious to see the stampings. Perhaps the very last handful had "new" carburetors. Like I said, every factory-installed 85 442 carb I've ever seen has the restamp.

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
galeaiii said:
Ken, I have a q-jet from an 85 Monte SS that I am considering having you rebuild. My only question is, I have no computer in my car, can it be modified to work without the computer or emission stuff, or should I look for an older q-jet? Toby told me to ask you because he doesn't know anything about Chevys.

It would be best to get an older non electric carb. Some Chevy truck carbs from that era might still be non computer M4Ms.

The electric carb just couldnt replicate the power mode function of the power piston without electric control (it would be full rich all the time), and the E4ME carb cant be retrofitted with the old style power piston.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
69hurstolds said:
Got a picture of that? Do you know when the car was built? Mine was built in Feb 85, near the end of the cycle, so I'm curious to see the stampings. Perhaps the very last handful had "new" carburetors. Like I said, every factory-installed 85 442 carb I've ever seen has the restamp.
Mine was produced the last week of febuary 1985, with no restamping.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
85 and up Olds electronic carbs were calibrated on the lean side. An earlier one is a better starting point. Don't know about the Chevy carbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor