Before I drain and check the Oil. (Possible Blown Head Gasket)

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
You might be able to score that sample a little easier by dropping the filter and pouring out its contents into the pickle jar. Not sure how much would be needed to get a large enough sample for whatever test is being planned. The contents of the filter might also give you some hints as to what has gone wrong.

Nick

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Doesn't have to be pickle jar... Just one of decent size like quart mason jar and clear.

OAP is the military Oil Analysis Program. We would send off sample once a year for our Tracks and trucks, also equipment like backhoe. Because you don't have lab to send to you have to basically be your own lab.

After the oil sits over night any water or antifreeze will settle to bottom of jar. Small amount of moisture from ambient air will stay in suspension. Gas/ Diesel will float to top. So if heavy fuel contamination. Will be in top layer.

Dip a piece of notebook paper in very top layer. Do this safely, but light the piece of paper where it has soaked up the oil. If it lights quick with orange/yellow or blue flame... That's heavy fuel contamination. If it takes longer to light and the flame is orange and smoke is sooty. That's just oil. Oil lights around 320*F and gas will flash as low as 120*F or less.

Combustion product in the cooling system with have a chemical hot plastic smell that will sting back of throat. Will start to discolor the anti freeze color. Will have oily sheen on top of coolant and look for bubbles.

Go to auto parts store and ask for the test kit. Follow the instructions And add sample of coolant to the test reagent. It will change color if combustion gases are present in the coolant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Another easy way to tell is if engine runs for just short time (less than 4 min), remove the radiator cap. If it burps, or is under pressure and yet to be hot at operating temperature, this tells you that the coolant is being pressurized by combustion gasses due to the head gasket leak. The compression cycle is pressurizing the coolant.

Another thing to check is the plugs. If you pull the plugs lay them out. Any tips (electrodes) look steam cleaned, ?? Those are the plugs removed from a cylinder that has coolant getting into the chamber and turning to steam during the combustion/power stroke.

Last edited:

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
A few years back I helped a customer that had issue similar as yours. Engine barely ran and huge white-ish fog cloud coming out of tail pipe. Of course he was told engine was junk, needed this..., and needed that... Etc...

Car was an 84 Bonneville with Chevy 305 and Q-Jet. Pulled carb ... Rebuilt and replaced, set timing, replaced plugs. Instantly fog cloud went away, set the base tune and car drove just fine.

Reactions: 1 user

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
A few years back I helped a customer that had issue similar as yours. Engine barely ran and huge white-ish fog cloud coming out of tail pipe. Of course he was told engine was junk, needed this..., and needed that... Etc...

Car was an 84 Bonneville with Chevy 305 and Q-Jet. Pulled carb ... Rebuilt and replaced, set timing, replaced plugs. Instantly fog cloud went away, set the base tune and car drove just fine.
I will be remembering all your advice here any time a situation calls for looking into a blown Gasket. But as I noted in my first posting, The Choke was stuck open, and I found out why. The end part of the Coiled Spring some how came off or got loose of the Choke position lever thing (I forget its name now) that moves to close the Choke and I put it back in place. Choke is now closed. Because I have Solid Mounts, vibration from the engine likely made that come loose. This is something I am going to have to watch. I Still yet have to Change the Oil when I can afford it, even then I don't want to start up the car and risk burning out the piston rings, The Engine is just over 75K miles, the Mechanic who put the engine in said it's sound, I now believe that I am dealing with "Cylinder Wash" but just in case I will be double checking the oil just as you described when I get to it. Thanks

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Checkout... www.quadrajetpower.com

Once you get the choke reset and with what you were saying about vibrating apart, you need to make sure all the retainer clips are there or cover falls off again.

The above link has everything including; choke rod, new electric choke, and retainer screws with retainers. Make sure to use some Blue Locktite or clear RTV to keep the screws from backing back out.

Screenshot_20230619-125350.png

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor