Bell housing has a slight hole in it now

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Glad no one got hurt - you can;t replace body parts but always get new car parts. Pitted next to a guy that blew a clutch or pressure plate making a pass - the brake lines got destroyed, the trans fell to the ground and ground up the case and I'm sure more, the engine fell back and jammed the throttle WOT and blew the engine, w/o brakes he went into the catch net and messed up all the front end sheet metal, and the drive shaft was destroyed along with the trans tunnel. Always better to be safe than sorry. And don't think automatics won't explode either. I run a Reid housing housing on mine - at the least you should have a blanket on it.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
If you're gonna drag race a stick, you better take every. single. precaution.

I'm a relative n00b when it comes to manual stuff, but it looks to me like the flywheel had a crack and flew apart? Or something caused it to crack... heat? Shock loads?

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
It looks like the pressure plate had some heat cracks in it, and it finally gave up. It happens.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Stick, auto, they all have a glorious violent death when they let go at high revs. And makes one buy new undies when it happens next to them.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
YIKES! I'll bet that made your heart stop! Along with the scattershield I'd invest in a steel flywheel and blow-resistant PP. Better to avoid the explosion than to try and contain it.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Stick, auto, they all have a glorious violent death when they let go at high revs. And makes one buy new undies when it happens next to them.

Yes they do. We blew up high gear in a t-400 when my dad was racing. Everybody thought that the autos were safer. Well it blew up and put a giant hole in the case and can opened the seam in the floor of a 71 camaro where the firewall met the floor pan. We found pieces of the trans in the car under the carpet. And this was not a super high HP car. It was a 3000 lbs camaro with a 355 going 10.80's.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Huh! Cracked the Flywheel?? How did the crank flange and the threads in it for the flywheel make out? Don't think it would hurt to put a dial indicator on the flange and make sure it is still straight and concentric. Just a thought.

39F

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
Huh! Cracked the Flywheel?? How did the crank flange and the threads in it for the flywheel make out? Don't think it would hurt to put a dial indicator on the flange and make sure it is still straight and concentric. Just a thought.
It on cracked a boss were the pressure plate bolts to the flywheel ,it also ended up destroying my distributor and cutting the power wire to it also ,I just got a Zoom light weight flywheel, clutch and pressure plate setup off a friend today . I got another stock flywheel and clutch in it now but gonna put the zoom in here this week . Just debating on whether to use the stock flywheel or the light weight one, I also swap my rear end that got 433s and a spool so I have no worries about blow the rear end up now

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor