Bessy got her paint on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rydeer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2010
Well I worked on Bessy today. The new blue paint looks green with all the pollen. I'm in south Jersey. Not near NY!(thats dirty jersey!) I paid $600.00 for the paint.I did all the body work. stripped it, did all the jambs(it is a color change). They sanded once more,shot the sealer and painted. It is a urethane single stage paint. It isn't perfect,but I know because I'm on it with a fine tooth comb. Thanks to all who love the color.
The beige top looked terrible with the new color. Today I dyed it. It was sooo dry I used one full can and will get more tomorrow. It just soaked it up and leaves zebra stripes. I will get the remaining painted parts tomorrow. I should be done and driving in a couple of days.

Some pics:

BEFORE:
CIMG0782-1.jpg

AFTER
CIMG0785.jpg

CIMG0787.jpg

GOT THE MIRRORS AND WINDOW WEATHER STRIPPING ON,STILL NEED TO POWDER COAT THIS DOOR HANDLE.i'LL LEAVE THE LOCK SILVER. I DON'T THINK IT WILL TAKE THE HEAT AND PAINT WON'T LAST NEAR KEYS.
CIMG0786.jpg

The blue is very brite. I'm still thinking about SS style stripes from the grills back or maybe a "Starsky and Hutch" style stripe in flat black. Just to break it up. I'll wait till its all together and then decide.

Thanks for looking.

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
Hmmm. I hope your dyed vinyl works like you want it to. But I have a feeling it is going to turn gray real fast.

IhaveNoPantsOn

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2009
Holyoke, MA
Looks freakin' awesome. Keep the pics coming!

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
That looks nice. My brother had a 69 Camaro with a paint scheme like that. LeMans Blue with black vinyl top. He bought it new that way and it looks very simular to yours paint-wise.

With all the black on the car, I'd shy away from any brightwork. It's going to stick out like a sore thumb if you do.

As far as the stripes, I'd have some made in vinyl that you can put on and peel off without harming the paint. Find one that looks right and you like, then commit to having it painted on. Sometimes stripes look better in your mind than on the car. It's easier to peel the vinyl off than it is to remove the paint.

rydeer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2010
I got the rest of the painted parts today. The color is not the same!! I put it together and I will let him decide how to fix it. I'll let him do a blend in if he wants. It's not that different. I still have a day or two to finish it. Still neds interior reassambly,driver door latch powder coated. theres a piece of trim that I can't figure out how to put back on.It's in the back I have a few pics with the clips. If anyone knows how to put on, please let me know!!

The bumpers are on and I finally drove her and put some new gas in it. Shes been running on 2 year old gas!!

IMAGINE TWO FLAT BLACK STRIPES RUNNING DOWN FROM THE GRILLS.( YES I WILL DO A MOCK UP FIRST)
CIMG0793.jpg

CIMG0794.jpg

THIS IS MY TRIM PROBLEM.
CIMG0800.jpg

CIMG0801.jpg

SOME INTERIOR SHOTS INCLUDING THE REPAIRED B PILLAR TRIMS
CIMG0796.jpg

CIMG0798.jpg

I LEFT THE CHROME ON THE EXTERIOR B PILLAR, I BLACKED THE LANDAU TRIM
CIMG0804.jpg

I LEFT THIS PIECE UNDER THE WIPERSW SHINY ALSO
CIMG0803.jpg

CIMG0806.jpg

I painted the last wheel today, I have yet to sand and buff the spokes to match the others still.
The pollen is so heavy today the car looks green. The cali car duster is getting a work out!!

Thanks for looking. Let me know what you think. I'll gat some good pics tonight. I'm off to the Bar!!

Oh the color is 1980 Z28 blue. Chev code #24. Sometimes called aquamarine and sometimes brite blue. It's not subtle!

thecutAK

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 8, 2010
what paint did you use to black the trim with? Like spray paint or what? curious

rip1212

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 4, 2010
Chicago, IL
I was wondering the same thing, Howd you knock off the chrome or did you just paint over it? If so does it last long. The car is looking GREAT I cant wait to see it all finished up!

rydeer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2010
Ok bessy is close to done. I've been driving her and she rides great! I have a few things left to do; I need to reundercoat the wheel wells to cover overspray. The old radio sucks. I don't need a fancy system,just something to listen to. I havn't figured out how to remove the bezel yet. The cigar lighter is loose also. I will have to address the sagging headliner. I have it up with pins for now. I found out yesterday that BF Goodrich doesn't make TA Radials anymore. I need one to match. 215/70 15. Raised white letter. I have an E-mail into BF Goodrich, Maybe coker tire?
People have asked about the black. I used spray bombs. First I sandblasted small parts, Then self etch primer aznd finally three coats flat black. I used Rustoleum. The bumpers I sanded with 80 grit. No there are no scratch marks! Where the chrome peeled I finished with 320.
The door handles I powder coated. I couldn't powder longer than 40" or the plastic grills so I painted them. The locks wouldn't stand up to baking and keys will tear the paint up in no time. They are left silver. So is the trim under the wipers and the "B" pillar post covers.
Here are some pics, including the interior post trims I restored. You will see a small tear in the drivers seat. Oh Well, my *ss covers it!
CIMG0814.jpg

CIMG0812.jpg

CIMG0813.jpg

CIMG0811.jpg

CIMG0810.jpg

THE ROOF CAME OUT REALLY SHARP. I HOPE IT DOES NOT FADE. EVERYTHING IS LIME GREEN WITH POLLEN NOW!
CIMG0821.jpg

CIMG0819.jpg

CIMG0817.jpg

CIMG0816.jpg

SOME PICS OF MY SHOP. REMEMBER I REALLY DO BIKES!!
THE WELDING/MACHINING/PAINTING/POWDER SHOP
CIMG0822.jpg

BIKE BUILDING
CIMG0823.jpg

PARKING
CIMG0824.jpg

Thanks for looking. Let me know what you think.

PS What is a Baller??

rydeer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2010
I always knew I was the BALLS. Took some pics in the brite sun to really see the color!
CIMG0825.jpg

CIMG0826.jpg

If you look close at the corner you can see the color difference
CIMG0827.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor