Best 12 bolt donor

Status
Not open for further replies.

81regalgs

n00b
Mar 12, 2007
I have an 81 regal with buick 455 4v and a turbo 400 it has stock rear, what is the best donor car with a 12 bolt

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Nothing will bolt in. You can use the A-body 12 bolt (good luck finding one at a reasonable price) but the control arm attachments are at the wrong angle. You can make it work with aftermarket arms with ball fittings, but those aren't cheap either. Better bet is to buy one of the 9 inch housings custom built for the G-body.

hobbes442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 1, 2007
mount vernon,in
12 bolt

i have a 12 bolt in my car . if i had to do it over , i would spend 1000 more and do a new custom 12 or 9 in to fit in to g body . i love mine and have the southside control arms needed. but you do run into other problems once you put that big boy in . doing it right will cost u over $2000 so if you dont like that ,beef up a 8.5 10 bolt and you can buy whatever control arms you like.

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
UMI performance makes the correct angle arms to hookup a 12bolt in a G-body. If you've got some good power going to the wheels it's a good investment.

Do the research, some years are ~3" wider than others.

81regalgs

n00b
Mar 12, 2007
I know I'm gonna have to spend a bit of money on this swap and I was planning on having the local machine shop fab up some mounts, and narrow it. Will they be able to weld mounts on for stock trailing arms, I have hotchkis uppers and lowers and will like to keep them if I can

ligoatpar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2005
Southampton, Pa.
12bolt swap

If you're spending the money to have the rear shortened etc. you can probably afford a Moser, Currie drop in rear.
Anyway, the lower control arm mounts on the stock '64-'72 A body rear will work on the 'G' body, It's the uppers that are the problem. There is a G body conversion control arm set up on sale at craigslist.org, central Jersey. You can make the stock uppers work easier if you get a set of hop-stop bars from Jegs or others. This moves the upper control arm mount point up towards the floor of the car. Good for traction and easier to move around the arms(after you add new holes about an inch forward of the old ones) If you have adjustable uppers you may have enough room to adjust. Lotsa luck. Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor