better power steering box

Status
Not open for further replies.

camino82

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 1, 2010
i wanted to upgrade before i finish my project any good brand of steering boxes with good ratios any swap theirs before

Freddiesmooth

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2010
Pittsfield Ma
Use a 3rd gen camaro quick ratio box . they came on Iroc-Z ,formula 350 firebirds, GTAs and Trans Ams . Any of the 3rd gen f-bodys with 16in wheels from the factory will have it . The box is less then 3 turns lock to lock and has no internal stops like a monte ss or GN box . Should be able to get one from the bone yard for around 50 beans . :mrgreen:

Freddiesmooth

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2010
Pittsfield Ma
Just watch what you get , they dont always put the right steering boxes in the boxes . It doesnt seem to matter where they are bought either ( advanced auto , pepboys , napa ) the rebuilders seem to just use anycore .Maybe its just around here quality control sucks . I would still stick with a 3rd gen f-body box if your going to get a rebuilt one . they are the quickest ratio

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL

MD13ailey

Master Mechanic
Aug 26, 2009
Columbia city, Oregob
i got my box out of a 78 or 79 turbo regal. its 2 1/2 turns lock to lock

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
Mine is from an 88 or 89 IROC with the 16" wheels. There is a code on the round circular end of XH. This is the quick ratio sport type road feel. The Z28 has a simular box with the same quick ratio but a slightly softer road feel. I believe it's code is YA but don't quote me on that. Then you have the regular f-body box with slower ratio and soft road feel. Road feel can be compared to say a Vette the firmness of the steering feel compared to grandma's 4dr LeSabre. (No flames on using a LeSabre for comparison as I own one, too :shock: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor