bla bla

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
hello people: To yous people that have no storage, no cover and just leaving there G body out side for the winter. This is an opinion question. I've been starting my G every now and then getting the coolant up to temp. and then shutting it down. What are yous doing?
IBBY

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
Before I had indoor storage I would fog the motor, lots of bounce fabric sheets inside and under the hood, and plug and cover the exhaust tips. It would sit that way till spring.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
hello people: To yous people that have no storage, no cover and just leaving there G body out side for the winter. This is an opinion question. I've been starting my G every now and then getting the coolant up to temp. and then shutting it down. What are yous doing?
IBBY
I've always been told this is a bad idea, and it will rust your exhaust from the inside out due to all the condensation that gets in there and turns to standing water when it cools off....

Strictly speaking it shouldn't be necessary, outside or not. Its just a few months. I'd take the battery inside and keep it on a "minder" and like was said, I'd be more worried about rodents: mothballs, dryer sheets, covering the exhaust and carb up... When you go to start her up again in the spring, pull the coil wire and turn it over until you get the oil pressure up first. Maybe run the fuel tank down to as close to E as you can get it first, too, before you park it so the gas doesn't get funky. OR fill it all the way up and add stabilizer. Depends who you believe.

IF you've got an electric fuel pump you might start it once and a while just to keep the pump from gumming up, though.

Reactions: 4 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I am outdoors all year. That is why I don't get an expensive paint job. I try to use it as much as I can to get the moisture out of the engine and pipes. I also put a battery charger on every once in a while. If severe snow is forecast a cheap tarp will help protect it until it melts. But just a tarp is not a good idea long term. First a decent car cover that breathes goes on first. Then a cheap tarp to protect that. And never park over grass for the winter. Kills the grass and moisture gets at the underside.

Reactions: 1 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I go out about once a month and let it run for a little, or take it out for a rip up the road to keep from getting flat spots on the tires... then again, I'm in an area that gets cold, but not as harsh as others have it. there's a reason I don't move back up north...
1612539736846.png

Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Being carburetor based for induction, if you pull the wire off the coil for a minute you can crank the engine (don't push gas pedal) for 30-60seconds, heck 2 minutes, and have the oil circulate, keep things lubed up top to bottom without dumping gas into the cylinders and hurting things. It's draining the battery some but you should be on a tender anyways.

Gets the benefit of lubricating things without the questions about moisture buildup. I've always heard those 2 minutes trips harmed various other parts of the system too.

I go out about once a month and let it run for a little, or take it out for a rip up the road to keep from getting flat spots on the tires... then again, I'm in an area that gets cold, but not as harsh as others have it. there's a reason I don't move back up north...
View attachment 167996
I put junk tires on rollers on when the cars sit before parking them.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I put junk tires on rollers on when the cars sit before parking them.
I don't use rollers but I do have winter and summer sets of tires. I like hard compound mileage tires like Tiger Paws for hot summer. Soft compound ice/snow tires for winter. But I have a shed mostly for tire storage with four vehicles registered and tires for each.

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
hello people: My G body is a turbo Buick if that changes peoples thoughts.
IBBY

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Not really. When I had to cold store, I used to lift the toys and place them on 12 x 12 inch wooden blocks placed under the frames at suitable points and then used aluminum plating as a shim between the wood and the steel. The point was to unload the suspension and keep the springs happy. I'd also remove the batteries and bring them in for my battery Christmas tree stack. For the van i went out and bought a Canton Racing pre-oiler reservoir like the drag rides use and plumbed that in so I could pre-oil/pressurize the motor before I tried to crank it. Seemed to do the trick and it is still in residence because the van doesn't get as much use as my other toys. I also bit the bullet and acquired proper covers for both vehicles. You can throw a tarp over your ride but if you have a good heavy padded cover underneath that tarp your finish will thank you.

The Monte, because it is sitting in Bay Two and still half apart, does not have its distributor installed. Instead I have a dummy drive that lets me put a 1/2 inch drill motor on it and periodically prime the oil system. It will likely get a pre-oiler of its own just as a safety precaution. If you can run your motor and warm it up, it does help but, as noted, you have to take precautions on account of the critters who love places they can get warm or climb up into to stash things. Popped the hood on my Ma's Caddie one spring and found that one of the local squirrels had tried to use the engine as a stash. Fortunately I had plugged the snorkel on the air cleaner against just that possibility but it was still a mess to clean up. Little bugger never did come back for its acorns!!! The neighbors cat periodically tries to hide under my truck, usually just after I have returned from running errands, because there is still some warmth coming off the oil pan even when it is cold.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor