Blackest Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
To the untrained eye, all black is black, I can grant you that. But additives and paint ingredient quality have a lot to do with the depth and richness of the color. If a painter knows what they're doing, they can make a black look lighter or deeper using other dots of color. If you're really serious about your black, it's worthwhile to research it a bit.

I've considered the SPI black for my black 85 442 repaint, eventually, and it's really black. I like it. It's also single stage. I like that too. Because it mimics how the lacquer was originally done on the car. Obviously it's not going back lacquer because I can't find anyone around here that wants anything to do with that. Any good painter anyway. It's ok, as if the SPI black single stage works out, it'll look like it was supposed to, I think.

Reactions: 3 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
believe it or not most black base coats have red,yellows and whites in them.all in very small amounts.I've sprayed straight off the bank black tint and other than the ready to spray-viscosity (lack of clear binders in the non formulated banked black)there's a small amount of concern-able difference over a formulated black.and before you ask it's not even close to being cost efficient to spray straight black tint over a formulated version.I'd be more concerned about the quality of the body/prep work underneath it all,the quality of clear used and the cut-polish afterwards to achieve the best overall finish

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
To the untrained eye, all black is black, I can grant you that. But additives and paint ingredient quality have a lot to do with the depth and richness of the color. If a painter knows what they're doing, they can make a black look lighter or deeper using other dots of color. If you're really serious about your black, it's worthwhile to research it a bit.

I've considered the SPI black for my black 85 442 repaint, eventually, and it's really black. I like it. It's also single stage. I like that too. Because it mimics how the lacquer was originally done on the car. Obviously it's not going back lacquer because I can't find anyone around here that wants anything to do with that. Any good painter anyway. It's ok, as if the SPI black single stage works out, it'll look like it was supposed to, I think.
Like your saying, the 94 Impala SS concept car used purple coloring in the clear coat. It was nice. I can’t believe you can’t find any body to do laquer. 95% of the painting I did in the 70s&80s was laquer.

Reactions: 2 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Black is almost never black these days, most look brown in the sun. It’s actually one of the most difficult colors to match, on factory vehicles, when painting collision stuff. Stay away from off brands, as their toners. I’d go with single stage if you want the deepest finish. I used ppg on my rear window channel and it seemed really deep. I don’t know the number, but it was in a gallon can like clear, not a paint can.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Black is almost never black these days, most look brown in the sun. It’s actually one of the most difficult colors to match, on factory vehicles, when painting collision stuff. Stay away from off brands, as their toners. I’d go with single stage if you want the deepest finish. I used ppg on my rear window channel and it seemed really deep. I don’t know the number, but it was in a gallon can like clear, not a paint can.
sounds like 9300,it's in the concept line.it actually comes outta the gun brown

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
I haven't seen lacquer paint in forever, maybe 90s,I used to paint custom homes with elaborate lacquer work and it's a pain with the chance to run at every non flat surface and dry spots/fog and I can imagine a car being harder. I think they still used it in the 80s Canada maybe my 84 caprice was assembled in Canada and it looks like it has a lacquer paint job, you can tell by they way the paint spidered and shrank

Attachments

• 16181572698255093599490607844239.jpg
    16181572698255093599490607844239.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 108
Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I haven't seen lacquer paint in forever, maybe 90s,I used to paint custom homes with elaborate lacquer work and it's a pain with the chance to run at every non flat surface and dry spots/fog and I can imagine a car being harder. I think they still used it in the 80s Canada maybe my 84 caprice was assembled in Canada and it looks like it has a lacquer paint job, you can tell by they way the paint spidered and shrank
within the the big three there was a hodgpog of paint in those days,it was shifting to acrylic enamel from lacquer and no matter how you slice it,it wasn't good :sneaky:

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Back when I was mixing paint I found out that black wasn't always black as others have noted. The black for my '14 Silveradro is not the same as my '81 Monte. Can't remember what year GM changed to "not total black" black but thinking it was in the lat '90's. PPG's 9000/9300 is basic as you can get black (some old timers I delt with called it "Henry Ford black".) It is the same PPG codes used by the Big Three & most imports. There are some other shades that European cars used that dated back to the '70's. Now referencing PPG mixes, the old DBU used a clear binder that was also used in almost all other colors, DBC doesn't but some colors do just because it's just a clear filler to make sure the can is filled to the amount being mixed, DCC Concept is the same as DBU. Now I gotta clean up the dust from digging in the back of my mind to remember this stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor