Blazer Brake Upgrade ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
I am considering this brake upgrade, strongly. My question is this, I know it adds some weight, but has anyone ever done this swap to a street/strip car with before and after times? I was told about the ten lbs of spinning weight theory years ago, and was wondering about this as the setup adds more spinning weight, bearings 8)

hereiam

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2013
I wouldnt worry about the added weight. We run a 468 mustang and we have to have a cage, harness, and a bunch of other safety stuff in it and that adds weight but also adds safety. I am always happy to error on the safety side. There is nothing like going through the 1/4 mile trap and put the brakes on just for them to not want to stop you. You arent running an 8 sec car so you have to rely on your brakes not the chute and brakes. Think safety not the 1/10 or 5/10ths of a second you might save. Always be safe and you can run another day. it is suppose to be fun. Just thoughts from an old man

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
Hey, Joe, how've you been? ...Over on GBC is a thread by Andy's Auto (Best brake upgrade for the dollar, 6-28-2011, @9:49AM) in the brakes section. He put Blazer brakes on his 130 MPH drag car. ...Just FYI !

Doug

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
JBreu said:
I am considering this brake upgrade, strongly. My question is this, I know it adds some weight, but has anyone ever done this swap to a street/strip car with before and after times? I was told about the ten lbs of spinning weight theory years ago, and was wondering about this as the setup adds more spinning weight, bearings 8)

Good question but I have never seen the actual weight difference all the components in a factory G body set up vs the blazer stuff. If it is 10lbs more, I'm not feeling it. What you can feel is better braking

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
Anubis said:
JBreu said:

Good question but I have never seen the actual weight difference all the components in a factory G body set up vs the blazer stuff. If it is 10lbs more, I'm not feeling it. What you can feel is better braking

Did a search (weight difference between G-body and Blazer brake up grade) and on Oldspower, a thread there states the stock G-body rotor/caliper/spindle assembly weighs 40lbs. The stock 1998-05 Blazer rotor/caliper/spindle (and I'm assuming with the sealed bearings) weighs 46lbs. This brake upgrade adds 12lbs. total to the front of your car. ...I don't know how factual this is, but it's all I could find during my short search.

Doug

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
I saw the weight posted on a canadian forum. Had photos of both units on the scale. I remember something like 48.6 pounds for the blazer but it may have been 46.8. As the previous poster confirms. The g-body assembly weighed 40.2 or something. Regardless definately under the 10 pounds per side.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
buzz77 said:
I saw the weight posted on a canadian forum. Had photos of both units on the scale. I remember something like 48.6 pounds for the blazer but it may have been 46.8. As the previous poster confirms. The g-body assembly weighed 40.2 or something. Regardless definately under the 10 pounds per side.

Thanks for confirming. Aluminum bumper brackets alone will offset the difference. I need to get my car on a scale now that I have an aluminum hood, bumper brackets and reinforcements installed.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Thaks for the replies..I think I will end up doing it. Oldtinsmith did it recently and I know he likes it... 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor