Bleeding Brakes Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
Im about to replace the front calipers on my 85 Olds 442. Also, will be replacing the front brake lines.

I’m trying to save any headaches. What’s best method to bleed brakes afterwards? It will only be me. Should I buy speed bleeders? I’ve never used them before btw. Or should I get the wife out to try and pump brakes.?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I still do it by pumping the brakes a few times and holding the pedal down to the floor for last time like you would with 2 people but I use a ratcheting "Club" to lock the pedal down on the last pump by wedging it between the seat and the brake pedal and then turn the key to release after bleeding one corner and move on to the next.
I have been doing it this way for many years and it has always worked the best over other 1 person methods I have tried.
1618140132350.png

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Gravity, one line at a time starting with the line furthest from the master cylinder. Assuming you are changing the lines from the proportioning valve to wheel ends and the current system is bled and functioning, take the lines for the front brakes off the proportioning valve and plug both ports. The goal is to keep the master cylinder line, and proportioning valve from getting an air in them. Replace the passenger side lines and caliper. Now gravity bleed the right front with the master cylinder cover removed - don't let the master cylinder run out of fluid. Then do the same for the driver side.

The gravity bleeding will take a bit for each side. Repeat until you get some pedal. Then let it set overnight. Occasionally this will not work satisfactorily, but that is rare. Not allowing any air into the system is what allows the gravity system to work well. If your system is leaking already and the brakes are not functioning, then gravity bleeding will not work. The final bit of air will require a couple of people or a system like 565bbchevy has described.

I've never had any success with power bleeders, vacuum bleeders, etc. The gravity system will use a bundle of fluid - have 2 quarts on hand.

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Always works quicker and better with a second person, if you only have yourself, use a soda bottle half filled with brake fluid, stick a small tube into it, other end on the bleeder. Crack it open, pump the brakes. That will get you very close, if not bled.

Reactions: 3 users

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
^^^^
That is how I've always done it, I just route the house up from the bleeder a couple feet so that I can see fluid in the line from the driver seat and then pump away. Air will rise up the clear line, fluid will stay down on the bleeder, pump until you see no more air coming out. (don't let the master go dry, VERY easy to do with this method)

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I’ll just include my wife or a buddy. I’ve always bled brakes this way using two people. But will have to schedule the help now.

Brakes work great right now by the way. as far as pressure, pedal response. So hopefully on the flip side, they do as well. Lol

Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Always works quicker and better with a second person, if you only have yourself, use a soda bottle half filled with brake fluid, stick a small tube into it, other end on the bleeder. Crack it open, pump the brakes. That will get you very close, if not bled.
This. Was going to say mason jar but yeah soda bottle works, too.

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Motive Products 100 power bleeder, been using it for years now. Always worked well for me, one man job. Still married!

• Agree

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
What about the short bleeder on the wheel cylinders that you can't get a wrench and a hose at the same time?

Speed bleeders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor