blower fan issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slick68

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2016
Hey guys, my dad has an 87 MCSS. The blower motor quit working recently. I've google searched trying to fix the problem, and read several threads here and other forums. Let me give you a rundown on what has been done.

Relay, resistor, and switch have all been replaced.
The fuse is never blown.
The blower motor does work.(jumper wire check)
The red wire(fusible link) going into the relay has full power, but nothing is powered coming out of the relay.
There is no power at all to the purple wire to the fan under any circumstance.
All grounds are good.

Is it possible to have a bad relay, even though it new? How do I check it?
I read somewhere else to track the wire from the switch to the fuse panel. What would I look for? Burnt wire?

Since the car was built in 2004, the A/C has worked fine, but the fan never worked on HI speed. I discovered in my searching that the relay was the likely culprit. However, the fan doesn't work at all, now.

Can you guys give me some advice?

• Optimistic
Reactions: 1 user

Slick68

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2016
OK, that connector is no longer there. Along with an engine swap, it also has a Sanden compressor. The pressure switch and the fast idle solenoid have been bypassed. However, the red wire that was in the connector is still used and does have full power. The ground wire is also connected.

• Optimistic
Reactions: 1 user

Slick68

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2016
20161017_185328.jpg
20161017_185346.jpg
What does this go to? Is it supposed to be hot?

Last edited:

Slick68

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2016
No burnt fuses. We determined the connecter in the above photos is supposed to be connected to the wiring from the fuse panel. Am I correct?

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
That looks alot like the connection in the pic below....

wObvgc.jpg

I tore a heat only setup out of an 81 Malibu early last year...took that pic for a reason but now I can't recall why...sucks getting old. Must be something to do with the HVAC wiring or I wouldn't have taken it as I have a few pics of the stuff related to the heat only stuff I pulled out. Sorry if I can remember I'll post up.

Reactions: 1 users

Slick68

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2016
I downloaded that schematic earlier this morning during my Google research. It certainly helped determine what goes where.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I found a short piece of harness in my pile o stuff here....looks like the same brown wire to me.

XsPSOk.jpg

I think this connects to the HVAC conrol...but can't recall for sure. I have a couple of underdash wiring harnesses here that I brought from storage...I don't think I can do much tonight but I can get them out maybe tomorrow night and see what I can piece together.

Last edited:

Slick68

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2016
O.D. Showtime, Thanks for the photos. That helps a lot!! As you can see here, I circled the area that is burnt/melted. I need to find the other end of the wiring that burnt. I can tell that it feeds into the harness with the light and cigarette lighter.

Attachments

• e2.jpg
    e2.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 469

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Okay I pulled out a harness to check on another matter and thought I'd get some pics for this one as well.

The brown wire does tie into the HVAC wiring. From what I can tell in the pic below the brown wire ties in the short harness...1 connection to the fan switch and I believe the others are connected to another wire harness that goes out through the firewall and to the HVAC box on the engine side of the firewall.

In this pic the brown wire is pretty much in the center.

zbN9KG.jpg

As was mentioned the brown wire is grouped with the wring for the cig ligher, HVAC control light and the glove box light from what I can tell. From there it trails back in the main harness and without pulling all the wrap I can't tell exactly where it goes.. The connector in the lower left of the picture is the cluster connection.

DXMFrt.jpg

another pic of the cluster connection..just to try and relate where everything is here..

KP1rKI.jpg

and a pic of the connectors at the column...1 being the ignition switch, turn signal connector etc...

fMgQcK.jpg

Now there is brown wires in these connectors but not sure if that's where this one is or not?

Not sure how much this helps...hopefully some...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor