BMW 4 series thumbs down

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
For Octoberfest my son, his wife and another couple head out to a German restaurant each year and I'm the DD. This year I got stuck driving them in my son's 4 series BMW. It has the M package and has all the options. It's a nice looking car but I didn't want to drive it. I don't like the huge blind spot from the gigantic A pillars and the other blind spots even though it has sensors to warn you and a back up camera. It handles nice but I don't like the 8 speed automatic transmission. The car has way too much crap in that is not needed, when you get near the center line or the shoulder of the road the steering wheel friggen vibrates. The heads up display is a nice feature and the sound system was great but I was glad to get into my old GP after I got them home.

Reactions: 2 users

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
Hope it isn't a SULEV.
Need a fuel filter? Ok, that'll be $6,000 thank you.
I have Heads Up Display in a 2001 Park Ave Ultra. That should be standard in all high end vehichles, but it's not.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I forgot to mention that it the engine shuts down when you come to a stop and starts again when you release the brake. I guess that saves a few ounces of fuel per day. First time it did that I thought the car had a problem. Like tc1949 posted, it's way over engineered and useless additions that have nothing to do with driving a car.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
and while I am on the subject why was I not given the right of way in all circumstances and why did the drivers in front of me not pull over to allow me to pass....after all I was driving a BMW.....:D

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
O
I forgot to mention that it the engine shuts down when you come to a stop and starts again when you release the brake. I guess that saves a few ounces of fuel per day. First time it did that I thought the car had a problem. Like tc1949 posted, it's way over engineered and useless additions that have nothing to do with driving a car.
Our fleet Cruzes at work have that auto stop crap; it drives me nuts. Add that to constant velocity transmissions and blinking lights on my side mirrors to the list of things I absolutely do not want on a car.

• Agree

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
The A-Pillars are something you really notice switching from a G-body to any modern car. It will probably be a while before A-pillars are that thin again, but If a car company used thicker/stronger metal in the A-pillars and made them thinner, people would love the car and not realize why.

I rented a 5 speed Ford Galaxie in Munich a few years ago with start/stop. Its even weirder than the auto with start stop, coming off the clutch and have the motor start before the clutch is fully out so you can drive away.

The starter motor had to have 20 or 30 Hp because I was driving the car on it when I came off the clutch fast.

• Informative

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The A-Pillars are something you really notice switching from a G-body to any modern car. It will probably be a while before A-pillars are that thin again, but If a car company used thicker/stronger metal in the A-pillars and made them thinner, people would love the car and not realize why.

I rented a 5 speed Ford Galaxie in Munich a few years ago with start/stop. Its even weirder than the auto with start stop, coming off the clutch and have the motor start before the clutch is fully out so you can drive away.

The starter motor had to have 20 or 30 Hp because I was driving the car on it when I came off the clutch fast.

I was wondering if they have an auto start with the manual. I wish my son't car was the 6 speed manual, it would make me feel like I was driving the car. My son was asking me why I was asking him how to shut of all the warnings, I told him they are not necessary of you are driving the car and not distracted by all the stuff in the car. AAA came out with a report on the distractions with these new cars, even voice commands distract a driver. There is also reports on the complaints of the A pillar in many of the cars out there.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
AAA came out with a report on the distractions with these new cars, even voice commands distract a driver.
What? All the car companies claim we need all that to end distractions, make driving safer, have aWiFi hotspot, a f-ing touch screen infotament center to f-ing confuse & distract, bells/alarms/buzzers to annoy us...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor