Body bushings - body to frame alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I'm in the process of painting an aluminum hood and new front facia for my 86' 442. While checking fender / hood alignment I noticed that the body of my car is off center by almost 1/2". At minimum, I would like to center it and perhaps put Energy suspension bushings in it. Some questions for those that have done this. 1) Will the urethane bushings create objectionable vibration and road noise? 2) Will I open a can of worms by trying to loosen the body bolts? The car has never seen salt and is completely rust free. What do you think the chances are that they will come out without issues? I don't want to have to hack up the body to acess the cage nuts.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I would strongly suggest applying some good penetrating oil (PB Blaster, etc) between the bolts, or wherever you're able to get into. Don't use an impact wrench taking them off.
Prior to loosening up my body bolts, I squirted PB Blaster into the bolts everyday for several days. I then used a breaker bar and socket and gradually worked them manually until they were able to spin free. I was able to break them all loose without snapping a single bolt. There were a few that were on the verge snapping. They twisted some, but fortunately they came out...whew!! Of course I replaced the bolts when I installed my new body bushings.

In your case, I don't think you'd have much trouble being a rust free car that hasn't seen salted roads, etc.
In my case, my car was originally a northern car that has seen it's share of winter driving.

As for ride quality, it does ride firmer and a bit harsher. I used the Energy Suspension kit. The car handles flatter with no body shift.
I wouldn't doubt that some of your bushings look like they've been thru the mill.

Good luck.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
I agree with Jack. I did the same thing but only sprayed once. The cage nut for the driver rear mount stripped, so I just drilled the nut out a little bit and managed to put another nut on top and tightened it down. While you're there you can put the "GN" bushings, which are includes in the ES kit

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I also added the GN #5 bushings. They did come with the kit, so, what the hey.
I did have a broken bolt in the rear that was actually corroded off. I drilled and re-tapped it. This was years before doing the new body mounts.

chevyfan16

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2012
Evergreen Park, IL
When I did mine it was a nightmare!! My el camino has been in the Illinois weather for its whole life. I was pretty unhappy with the harsher ride. Like he said it is noticeable and you will discover every loose screw and trim on your car! I got used to it and like the feel now!

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
I just replaced the original bushings in my Monte and I had talked to Mark Savitske @ SC&C and he recommended polygraphite ones,so I got these from PST;
http://www.p-s-t.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7004/.f?sc=12
they work real nice,no squeaking and they dont seem to be harsh.
Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor