Body cart/dolly

Status
Not open for further replies.

watchdog

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2010
Upstate NY
Hey guys....I maybe attempting a frame off, but want to know/see what kind of carts/dollys youve set your body on. I need ideas. If you can post pics, or a link to the pics, that be great. Thanks!

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
At first I typically just used 4 jack stands with two 4x4 wood posts to support the body while it was off the frame.

The issue though was trying to get the body high enough so you can just roll the frame in and out. It is easiest to roll the frame out from behind than trying to pull it out from the front.

I ended up making a set of jackstand stands out of more 4x4 wood posts and some 2x4 lumber. This allowed me to set the jackstands up higher without having to fully extend the jack.

This is a picture of the stands:

IMG_1179.jpg

Here's a picture after I pulled the frame out for the second time:

IMG_0932.jpg

Here I just used the jackstands and wood posts. However I still had to jack the rear of the body up a bit higher to get the "dog bone" part of the chassis to clear the spare tire wheel well.

I had looked into buying a dolly cart or making my own but I found a brand new body rotisserie for cheap (around $800) which made it a no brainer.
Really, if your considering this I have to say it is money well spent! It makes it super easy to work on the underside of the car and the best part is that you typically gain more space with it since you can tilt the body on its side and push it off too the side. Takes up a lot less room that away while you work on the frame. I loaned mine to a friend and he's doing a frame off in his two car garage. The rotiserie gave him a lot more room since he can tilt it and move it out of the way.

IMG_1066.jpg

Something else I made was a gantry with an electric hoist. Made it easier to lift the front end of the body while I lifted the rear with my engine hoist. Ideally if you had two of these it would make lifting the body and absolute breeze!

You can kind of see it in this picture:

IMG_1067.jpg

watchdog

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2010
Upstate NY
Awesome...Is it ok to just set the car down on the rocker lip? Do the doors or the windshield or rear window have to be in for support or is it ok if a bunch of guys get around it and lift it off the frame and set it on the jack stands. Thanks, much appreciated.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
It's fine to sit it on the rocker lip.

Doors don't need to be on or the windows in. These cars aren't that flimsy. ;)

Without the doors, glass, interior, etc. you should easily be able to lift the body by hand if you have enough help. I just didn't have any kind of help so I had to improvise on ways I could do it with just one person.

Something I did when I put the body back on the frame to make things easier was to buy some metric threaded rod. I cut it into 8" or so lengths and then screwed them into the body mount holes on the body. Then as I lowered the body back down I made sure to pass these rods through the body bushings. Definitely helped make sure the body was aligned with the body mounts!

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
real cool setup you have there andrew!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I supported the body the same way FE3X did it but I used wheel dollys under the frame to slide it underneath and then installed the suspension after I bolted the body to the frame.

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
FE3X CLONE said:
Something I did when I put the body back on the frame to make things easier was to buy some metric threaded rod. I cut it into 8" or so lengths and then screwed them into the body mount holes on the body. Then as I lowered the body back down I made sure to pass these rods through the body bushings. Definitely helped make sure the body was aligned with the body mounts!

I definately like that idea. I'll be sure to keep that in mind!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would definitely go with FE3X's suggestion of the body rotisserie. I did mine without and have about 7 t shirts that look like I got shot with buckshot. Trying to weld upwards isn't fun and I'll never even consider doing another frame off without a rotisserie. I haven't seen any close the price FE3X paid, even used but I'd still get one and sell it when I was done

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
Oh I definately haven't ruled out a rotisserie, but (fingers crossed) I shouldn't have to do any overhead welding on the Regal. I've been through the trunk and removed the gas tank and entire rear suspension so far, and aside from some minor rot in the rear inner wheel wells and behind the trim on the rear quarters, I haven't found anything that goes beyond minor surface rust. All very easy to patch, and will be completely hidden afterwards even if I don't get it perfect. My only concern at this point is I might find some rot in the rockers once I get the trim off, but if there is any it's gotta be minor. I'm incredibly lucky to have found any year G-body this rot free in Nebraska, especially a '78.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor