Body off frame?

Status
Not open for further replies.

84regalbuick

Apprentice
Jun 1, 2019
I'm going to pull it all off and raise it like l.a.x. did, I hoping I can just weld in new metal to all the bad spots

Reactions: 1 user

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I'm going to get mine up in air like yours, I have limited space in garage so I'll have to work around it.

I have a hoist, so this weekend I'll be getting a new welder and mount kit, hopefully I will just be able to box in rear frame
If your rails are bad youll have to cut out the bad and replace. Read thru some threads on here there's is so much info. If your car is north of the mason/dixon you might be in for a surprise. Lax im pretty sure has cali cars no rust=easy peasy. Rust=:rant:
Spend a couple weeks soaking body mount bolts in wd or pb for sure. Good luck and may the force be with you.

Reactions: 1 users

84regalbuick

Apprentice
Jun 1, 2019
If your rails are bad youll have to cut out the bad and replace. Read thru some threads on here there's is so much info. If your car is north of the mason/dixon you might be in for a surprise. Lax im pretty sure has cali cars no rust=easy peasy. Rust=:rant:
Spend a couple weeks soaking body mount bolts in wd or pb for sure. Good luck and may the force be with you.

Thanks I'll keep everyone updated and post pics as it comes along

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm going to pull it all off and raise it like l.a.x. did, I hoping I can just weld in new metal to all the bad spots

I found the metal on the frame real dirty even with cleaning it. I ended up stick welding the frame. Make sure you clean up all the factory welds so you can fill in what they missed and fix any bad welds....

Reactions: 1 users

84regalbuick

Apprentice
Jun 1, 2019
I found the metal on the frame real dirty even with cleaning it. I ended up stick welding the frame. Make sure you clean up all the factory welds so you can fill in what they missed and fix any bad welds....

How bad was urs, any pics

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
A lot of welders recommend using flux core MIG welding on car frames. I had no problem with it welding a frame repair washer on my frame.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

You don't need to take it off from the frame completely inorder to replace the tails. We replaced the tails (behind the rear axle) on my son's Cutlass and left the front two mounts on each side attached. It is very easy. And if you do this, then you can keep setting the car back down on the frame to make sure you have the tails in the right spot with little to no effort. Taking the body off from the frame completely will be the hard way to get the alignment right on the tais correct. If you have it wrong, then you'll be cutting them back off and re-welding them in - TRUST ME!!

About a month ago I swapped the frame on an '84 MC - what a PITA to get everything lined back up, especially with the front clip removed. The only time to remove the car completely from the frame is for a frame swap. My opinion of of course, but installing rear frame tails took about a day. Getting a new frame install to line up correctly took almost 40 hours.

The frame is extremely flimsy, but the body is not. You will be able to drop the rear section down easily more than a foot from the body with the front two mounts on each side attached. I wish I would've taken more pics f us swapping in the tails.

Regarding boxing the frame, alot of guys are anal retentive about the power they are making and the need for a boxed frame. We did not box the frame on my son's Cutlass and it make s over 800HP to the wheels without a cage, and the frame is fine. We did add supports for the trans mount that support the frame as well. But frame boxing without a cage isn't anything I'd be worried about until you begin making true low 9 sec time slips.

My two cents - good luck - Jim

84regalbuick

Apprentice
Jun 1, 2019
You don't need to take it off from the frame completely inorder to replace the tails. We replaced the tails (behind the rear axle) on my son's Cutlass and left the front two mounts on each side attached. It is very easy. And if you do this, then you can keep setting the car back down on the frame to make sure you have the tails in the right spot with little to no effort. Taking the body off from the frame completely will be the hard way to get the alignment right on the tais correct. If you have it wrong, then you'll be cutting them back off and re-welding them in - TRUST ME!!

About a month ago I swapped the frame on an '84 MC - what a PITA to get everything lined back up, especially with the front clip removed. The only time to remove the car completely from the frame is for a frame swap. My opinion of of course, but installing rear frame tails took about a day. Getting a new frame install to line up correctly took almost 40 hours.

The frame is extremely flimsy, but the body is not. You will be able to drop the rear section down easily more than a foot from the body with the front two mounts on each side attached. I wish I would've taken more pics f us swapping in the tails.

Regarding boxing the frame, alot of guys are anal retentive about the power they are making and the need for a boxed frame. We did not box the frame on my son's Cutlass and it make s over 800HP to the wheels without a cage, and the frame is fine. We did add supports for the trans mount that support the frame as well. But frame boxing without a cage isn't anything I'd be worried about until you begin making true low 9 sec time slips.

My two cents - good luck - Jim

Talked to my friend thats been helping me I think that's the route were going to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor