Status
Not open for further replies.

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
bigfella said:
Good day,

I have been a g-body fan for a long time , finally bought at 1984 olds cutlass last week , I'm Planing to do either a sbc or lsx based engine swap as I currently have the 3.8 v-sucks ( decent on fuel , crappy on power :roll: )

Yeah, this is true. The 1984 may be slower than typical V6 G-bodies because I think that year (any others?) it had the THM-250 rather than the THM-200 transmission - the difference being that the THM-250 is stronger, but has the gear ratios of the TH-350, so a 1st gear of 2.52, compared to the 2.74 first gear of the THM-200.

At least, my 1984 Regal was THM-250 equipped back then... not really clear entirely on which years that trans was installed vs the THM-200.

My car had a 2.41 rear axle as well - I think most of them did in the 1980s with the V6?

I know you'll probably want to save up money for the V8 swap, but, there ARE a *few* relatively cheap mods that can be done to get a little more out of the little V6.

- Exhaust system. Yes, that stock exhaust restricts even the V6. II once had a mechanic do some work, and he forgot to reattach the Y-pipe back to the converter... the car definitely was more responsive.
- Carb and intake from a 4.1 V6 (should have the same computer connector on the carb) - I'm told this'll give it a little more go.

I don't know how easily (ie: cheaply) the intake/carb, and the single-cat-to-dual-pipes can be found... so this advice may not be all THAT worthwhile. I would guess the exhaust first, because that's a cork even before you improve the intake and carb.

You're not looking at huge improvements with these things, but it'll give you a little bit to go with.

Or, just drive it like a granny-mobile, and save ALL the cash you'd put into it for the v8 swap.

bigfella

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 24, 2013
BMR Suspension said:
bigfella said:
other then that maybe some different wheels and a little suspension upgrade.

Well let me know once your ready!!!

Whoa! Isn't that sexy!!!

I'm just gunna drive the car and save money for the v-8 swap over the winter, by the looks of things I'm going to look for a 96-99 Chevy truck with a vortec and add a good cam , Intake and anything else it needs to convert it to carb. A whole truck will be a bonus since my DD is a Chevy k1500 , so I'll be getting two birds stoned at once with the left over parts fort truck . :mrgreen: I'm looking to build a street car that will run a mid 13 at least!

Thanks
Z

Trevor87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2013
Kamloops B.C. Canada
bigfella said:
I'm going to look for a 96-99 Chevy truck with a vortec and add a good cam , Intake and anything else it needs to convert it to carb.
Nice cutty! I'm running a 98 vortec, cammed, and carbed and built up nicely in my 84 grand prix. I like it, tire burner for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor