Boxing in the G-frame

Status
Not open for further replies.
t01blaze said:
There is a kit available if you are interested in buying rather than building.

yea ik the have a box in kit but for 250 dollars i can get 1 4foot x 8 foot 1/4 steel plate and 1 14guage .0735 steel plate

pontiacgp said:
when i boxed mine in I reinforced the control arm brackets plus I made plates out for the body mount locations with the 14 gauge metal. I used the circle cut outs for the body mount plates to use as large washers which I welded to the control arm brackets to strengthen the bolt locations...I also cleaned up the factory welds and welded where they missed or did some lousy welding

those original welds are pure crap, I think the welder has been waisted and blind... :shock:

pontiacgp said:
I used 14 gauge which is the gauge of the metal they used for the frame
Digging this thread up. 😀
So Pontiacgp, the frame is only made of 14 gauge? That is crazy, I would have never guessed that. I would have put money that it was like 3/16 or 1/4. Cool, cause I can get 14g for around $2 per sq ft. So the factory brake and fuel lines will need to be redone because they fit in the frame channel. How did you fix this, bend your own lines or just remove a little of the bends out of the factory lines? Guess I shouldn't have bought my stainless brake lines before reading this. I guess I would only need to redo the line that runs down the frame tho.

crucial118 said:
pontiacgp said:
I used 14 gauge which is the gauge of the metal they used for the frame
Digging this thread up. 😀
So Pontiacgp, the frame is only made of 14 gauge? That is crazy, I would have never guessed that. I would have put money that it was like 3/16 or 1/4. Cool, cause I can get 14g for around $2 per sq ft. So the factory brake and fuel lines will need to be redone because they fit in the frame channel. How did you fix this, bend your own lines or just remove a little of the bends out of the factory lines? Guess I shouldn't have bought my stainless brake lines before reading this. I guess I would only need to redo the line that runs down the frame tho.

To keep the weight off they used the body and frame together for strength. I used cunifer for all my brake lines, no tools needed to bend cunifer and it never corrodes

Understood. What is cunifer and where can you buy it? Sounds cheaper than stainless, but does what is needed(corrosion resistant). Plus double flaring stainless is a PITA.

Thanks for the link pontiacgp. Doesn't look cheaper than stainless, but it does look easier to work with. I will definitely look into them some more.

It is easy to work with and it polishes up real nice if you have the time

attachment.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor